We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage safety concerns

Sioux City, Iowa
11 posts
Save Topic
Luggage safety concerns

How safe is my luggage when traveling from us to buenos aires on American Airlines...heard lots negative about aerolinias Argentina...??does Houston shrink wrap luggage? Should I have hard side luggage or are my cheap cloth ones okay?? Can I pack sees chelate in my checked baggage or hand carry???

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage safety concerns

The airline website will answer most of your questions.

Our luggage was just fine and we brought a large dog with us too.

Sioux City, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage safety concerns

I pad correction...can I take see's candies (chocolates) safely packed in my checked bag?

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage safety concerns

Yes to luggage wrapping at Houston airport.

It's called Secure Wrap and it's located at Terminal D:

http://www.fly2houston.com/0/3528205/0/83460/

I would use TSA-approved locks AND wrap the checked luggage.

There are luggage wrapping services available at both the international airport (EZE) and the domestic one (AEP) in Buenos Aires. I've seen them also at Córdoba airport. I don't know for sure for the rest of the Argentinean airports.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage safety concerns

In 10 years of airline travel from the US to Argentina via American Airlines, I have not had anything taken from my checked baggage. I do not lock the bags and have used both hard side and soft side luggage. I do not have my bags wrapped with plastic.

In each trip, I bring 7 pounds of chocolates from Costco. My checked luggage contains clothing and toiletries which are too large for carry on luggage. My carry on luggage contains valuables and electronics.

Am I lucky? or probably a member of the majority of travelers.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage safety concerns

Ah, I'm sorry ricardo, but where is my chocolate ?

Since we flew to Paris one year and arrived with soaked luggage and red ink running from my guide book onto my new white sweater , I have had my luggage wrapped. There really is no reason not to.. and all kinds of reasons to do it. Security is just one of those reasons. But then, my husband says I worry too much :)

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
589 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage safety concerns

RICARDO......... 7 pounds of Costco chocolates. YOU are a man after my own heart. Way to go.!

Salud & suerte.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage safety concerns

Ricardo, both you and the vast majority of travelers on every flight are lucky when it comes to checked luggage. Remember, though, you can be lucky 100 times in a row and unlucky once, and you still will have lost those electronics and valuables. I do hope it never happens to you. :)

In the articles I've read over the years about thefts from luggage, it was sometimes mentioned that wrapped and hard-sided bags had also been broken into. The thieves had box cutters and they just ripped into the bags in seconds. Maybe that's unusual, and wrapping/hard sided does provide some extra security.

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage safety concerns

We used AA within from Argentina to JFK (and then after a 12hr stop over) onto London. We were delighted that our luggage went with us!

We flew from iguazu to BA with Lan. An Aerolineas flight left a good 45 min before us and when we arrived in BA (on the LAN) we got our lugguage before the aerolineas. Not sure what the problem was...it may have been a once off??

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage safety concerns

We used AA within from Argentina to JFK (and then after a 12hr stop over) onto London. We were delighted that our luggage went with us!

We flew from iguazu to BA with Lan. An Aerolineas flight left a good 45 min before us and when we arrived in BA (on the LAN) we got our lugguage before the aerolineas. Not sure what the problem was...it may have been a once off??

10. Re: Luggage safety concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 13:05