We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

We rented an apartment with the agency Ba Home Rental, our contact was Soledad Caballero. The apartment "Petit Melo Hotel" in Recoleta was supposed to be a very high end apartment, however even if the building and the apartment are very charming, the property is completely rundown. The experience with the agency was very negative. Indeed Soledad was very non professional, she did not care about the multiple daily problems we encountered in the apartment, mostly due to the incorrect information she gave us, clearly just to rent the apartment and to take our money. All the payments were very complicated and non transparent and this was not only due to the currency restrictions in the country but mainly due to her way of doing . Finally we lost a part of our deposit due to some invented taxes and commissions! In conclusion stay away from this agency, there are many better options to rent in Buenos Aires!

Tucson,AZ, USA
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

We have experienced similar situations in staying in BsAs.

We usually stay for a minimum of 5 weeks.

A few general considerations for renting in BsAs:

-When you see the apt. pics on line, don't take that for the real apt.; investigate if the building is really a restored XIXth century palace.

-In my experience in BsAs, most apts. have numerous repairs that have been pending for months (if not for years). So, when you check in, examine everything there is: toilet, hot water, linens, everything.

-If something needs repairing, don't expect the repairs to be done.

-Check the linens (sheets and towels, too) for cleanliness. We have rented apts where they only folded the dirty towels and the bed linens had obviously been slept in.

-A reputable company will not add any 'taxes and commissions' when you are checking out; you may, however, be charged for breaking an item or two.

-Check the inventory carefully; if you are missing essentials ask for them at that time. You may be charged for breaking a cup or two when you had to spend money buying a pitcher you needed or some more glasses. Note all descrepancies before signing the check-off form for the inventory.

Even with these minor nuisances, we have enjoyed each and every stay in BsAs (and will go back next year). Everytime, the agent has returned our complete deposit (the cash in the envelope we signed at check-in) immediately upon arriving for check-out w/o taking an inventory at all. They usually just ask if everything was okay and if we broke anything.

Hope this helps some travelers.

Have a good day!

2. Re: be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2013, 23:48
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

Clearly the response from the representative from BAHomeRental is not acceptable. Attacking the renter is not a proper way of resolving the problem or representing the agency in a positive way.

Unfortunately, this poor customer service attitude from many of these rental agencies in Buenos Aires are hurting the industry and making people skeptical of using the agencies for rentals.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

Why would any agent decide to broadcast that it’s taken 8 + months before it got around to responding to a customer’s complaint posted here last January 13?!! The former customer she now insults, Mattius, rented that $US 5,900/mth apartment for 5 weeks.

That apartment’s availability calendar shows it to have been very frequently rented from August, 2012 to January 18, 2013 which is 5 days after Mattius’ posted his complaint. Since January 18 this year and into 2014 it shows as constantly being available and never rented. Perhaps this is why the agent thought it apt to now tell us that Mattius struck her as a flawed person for his not being happy with a rundown place! With luck, maybe one of us will rush to rent it now to show her we’re better than him – a crazy notion not conducive to doing business but easily found in BA’s rental market.

I once contacted this agent in connection with an apartment showing as available. I gave her my flight dates. She then blithely directed ME to contact HER on a date just before my arrival in BA despite knowing that this couldn’t possibly meet my need. Now that I know how this agency has treated a customer who paid way more than I can, I’m very relieved that I gave up on using its ‘service’ in time to not suffer it during a rental.

Sometimes one can get a fairly good idea of what customer service during a rental will be like from really noticing what an agent says during negotiations before one books, but not always! That’s what’s scary about dealing with many BA rental agents. It used to considered advisable to use an agent. Now, we have to choose agents very carefully and cross our fingers or rent directly from sites such as ‘airbnb’ which offers protection.

It’s definitely strange for an agent to just up and announce pompously like this online the fact of poor customer service and disrespect for a paying customer. ‘BA Home Rental’ had the chance to help its business by apologizing for its not having responded to Mattius’ post and it could have cared to tell us if improvements to that property have been made and what they are. Making money isn’t very important to this agent is all I can conclude.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I also agree with Ricardo BA, I have heard these tales before and even though there are a few rental companies with a pristine reputation (which I have used in the past with great results) the ones which provide such poor standards of service hurt the rest. If you are the kind of person who wants to experience how it would be to live in a city rather than a tourist, renting an apartment would give you that feeling of being part of the whole scene. That is why I rather renting flats instead of staying at hotels.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,848 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

I agree D1ona, we started renting flats years ago when we got tired of staying in hotels in Europe. Spending 2 weeks in a flat on a mews in London was fabulous as were the stays in all the Paris Perfect Apartments in Paris.

When we visited Buenos Aires, we stayed at the ArtSuites and it was perfect for a 2 week stay.

We were so clueless as to where to stay and costs, it was perfect for us .. but since then, having gotten to know the apt rental situation in BA .. I would gladly rent for a couple of months for our next visit. ( please god that is soon, I am homesick for BA lol)

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

Just to mention - we have had very good experiences, with honest agencies in Buenos Aires, for many years running.

I can recommend: Reynolds Propriedades; BA Habitat; VRBO and AirBNB.

Just the same, it is well to follow the guidance on this and other threads regarding cautions re photos, complete inventory and equipment checks etc.

Edited: 04 October 2013, 21:29
8. Re: be Home rental in Buenos aires: beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:17