We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa OCampo: logistics

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
549 reviews
Save Topic
Villa OCampo: logistics

Early 2012 Marniewdc did a marvelous post"mystery tour.....en espanol". She and DH had the good fortune to visit with their Spanish teacher.

Last week DH & I embarked on our "journey" to Beccar and Villa Ocampo. What the website did NOT specify was whether it was necessary to take a tour to see the interior of the mansion. being cautious, we timed our arrival for the 2:30 tour on Friday afternoon.

We took the Mitre line from Belgrano C. The train was NOT timely. When it arrived, it was an old train, crowded, slow and had NO A/C. Why couldn't someone give this JUBILADO a seat????? Perhaps i didn't look like I needed it at that moment. When we finally reached BECCAR we got off the platform in the middle of the station. I looked right and left......and saw a familiar identity point: URIBURU.(Yes, I looked at a map on the villa ocampo site beforehand.

We walked down Uriburu...what a wonderful leafy street of large,gated properties.......came to a private security guard booth...and inquired if we were going correctly. YES, we were.

We crossed Libertador(another identity point for me) and the next street on the right was ELORTONDO....and Villa OCampo.

When we paid our "bono" admission, I then learned that it was NOT necessary to take a tour to access the mansion. Would have left Palermo earlier....when it was cooler.....if I had known.

We opted to NOT take the tour......the brochure handed out is pretty comprehensive. The grounds are magnificent.......munching on a sandwich and drinks on the open veranda was a delight: we didn't want to leave. At 4 PM the tour was STILL in progress and we tagged on to the end of it to see the upstairs.(otherwise roped off). Remember: the tour is in Spanish!

We walked back to Beccar sta.....and in very short order a train arrived . LUCKILY, it was new, uncrowded,fast and had A/C. Almost wanted to take it to Retiro......but sanity prevailed.

Considering ALL the time we have spent in BA.......and all the things we have done and seen......VILLA OCAMPO IS WORTH A VISIT.

www.villaocampo.com.

Cheers, my dears.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa OCampo: logistics

Morewierd and Howierd:

So glad you enjoyed Villa de Ocampo as much as we did. And you provided really good information for others who, like you and like us, want to try an interesting - and slightly off the beaten path - day trip.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,886 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa OCampo: logistics

Hi... I think it is www.villaocampo.org or

villaocampo.org/cas/…informacion.htm

We were there last year when our son was visiting .. it was terribly hot that day so we did not stay long or go inside .. I always keep wanting to go back.

From where we live, we took the train from Retiro ..on a weekend it is sort of train hell but during the week I expect it is much less crowded.

Hot enough for you ? lol

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
549 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa OCampo: logistics

Scarlet........DO make it back.......and thanx for correcting the site. It IS www.villaocampo.org.

Yes.....it IS hot enough AND humid enough. However, when we arrive at DIA next Wednesday, we'll probably be wanting hot & humid vs. cold and snowy.

Salud.

4. Re: Villa OCampo: logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 07:18