We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Weeks in Argentina/Chile

South Carolina
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
5 Weeks in Argentina/Chile

We will be in Argentina/Chile from March 14- April 21.

Our current plan is to fly to BA and spend 4 days there (including attending a futbol game);

Fly to Iguazu Falls (how long to stay???)

Fly to El Califate (on to Torres del Paine for a week- hiking the "W")

A couple days in El Califate and 4 in Chalten.

5 days in Bariloche.

5 days in/near Mendoza.

Fly out of Santiago.

Question: Is there anything we're missing that we really need to see? We'd like to visit Salta, too, but just don't have the time.

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Weeks in Argentina/Chile

What about TDP

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Weeks in Argentina/Chile

Argentina is such a huge country that you can find so many different things.

I personally would add something of the NorthWest. I see that apart from Iguazú (I would stay 3 days) you are concentrating almost all your trip in the Patagonia, and even when it's stunning, is not what most people come to find in south America.

I would fly to Salta and at least spend 3 or 4 days there, there are places like Tilcara, Purmamarca, Humahuaca, Iruya, Salta itself, etc. That REALLY worth taking one day from Mendoza, one from Bariloche or El Chaltén, to be able to go there. I personally travelled for 2 weeks on the northwest and it was incredible.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Weeks in Argentina/Chile

Thank you! The reason we re spending so much time in TDP (main reason for trip) is because we are hiking the "W" which takes 4-5 days.

We will look into your suggestions...thanks so much!

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
786 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Weeks in Argentina/Chile

Hola Knewell,

I think your plan is great, and I understand you prefer to stay longer in Patagonia to enjoy more one area. And I do think many people come from all over the world to see the beaty of this area.

I wouls just adjust a little the amount of days. As you said you are going to do the W in TDP, I am assuming you love hiking. If this is the reason then I would do the the following adjusts,

We will be in Argentina/Chile from March 14- April 21.

Buenos Aires 4 nights (14/18 march)

Iguazu 3 nights (18/21 march)

El Calafate 2 nights (21/23 march)

Torres del Paine (6 days- I am allowing one extra day for weather considerations) (23-28 march)

El Calafate (1 night back from TDP) (28 march)

El Chalten 4 nights (29/1 apr)

Bariloche 3 nights (2-5 apr)

Villa la Angostura 3 nights (small village near Bariloche with a lot of hiking opportunities) (5-8 apr)- You can take a direct bus to Mendoza from here

Mendoza 3 nights (8-11 apr)

Bus to Santiago crossing the Andes.

Santiago 3 nights

I hope it helps...you are going to Patagonia in a wonderful time of the year, when the colours are turning into red. I am sure you will love it!

Saludos and enjoy!!

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Weeks in Argentina/Chile

I would cut down on the amount of time you are spending in Bariloche as there is not a whole lot to it to be honest. TDP is absolutely spectacular. We did the first two legs of the W in two days and stayed in a lodge inbetween. We stayed in Puerto Natales either side. 7 days is usually only needed if you are doing the full loop. If you could use some of those days to get down to Ushuaia it's definitely worth it.

6. Re: 5 Weeks in Argentina/Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 07:16