We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping to Argentina

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux City, Iowa
11 posts
Save Topic
Shipping to Argentina

Does anyone know the most reasonable way to ship to Argentina?? I want to send my cousins's kids gifts.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
464 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping to Argentina

NEVER NEVER NEVER send a package to Argentina. If you cannot bring it with you in the plane, forget it. Even if you send it by courier express, it will be blocked and detained by Customs in Buenos Aires, and your cousin would have to go there to pay a huge import fee, and probably a huge bribe. Expats never have things sent to Argentina.

Imported items like this are very expensive, Argentina has the highest import taxes in the world.

Send them dollars to buy the gifts here if you are not coming.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 04:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping to Argentina

I agree, most especially at the present time. It is far better to send them some money to buy their gifts in Argentina. I sent a friend a perfume and she was asked to pay more than the perfume was worth. It was a terrible experience. I now send friends or relatives money through Western Union because the banks seem to take a few slices off before they put it in their accounts. Western Union also takes a very small nibble, so what you send is not exactly what they receive but it is just a couple of dollars difference.

Sioux City, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping to Argentina

ugh...just sent a pair of DC shoes from tilly's online who now ships to argentina..billed to my american express..hope it gets there..will let you know!! thanks for the input!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping to Argentina

I agree with the others. Customs there in Argentina are like the Mafia! MAYBE you will get lucky but almost always the customs won't even deliver it. Doesn't matter if it's sent via Fed Ex, UPS, DHL, post office.... customs usually will access some artificially high value on them and then won't give it to them without them paying a huge fee.

I remember one Christmas, a client sent me some cuff links. They were nice but probably didn't cost more than $150 or so. I went to go pick them up and besides having to wait in line like 2 hours, they wouldn't release them to me without me paying $200! I told them it was crazy as these things were worth less than $200 to begin with.

I ended up leaving there and telling them to send it back. (not sure if they ever did or not). I apologized to my client and told them thanks for the nice gesture but I refused them as they wanted to charge more than the value of them.

My client laughed and said that they sent them to 8 other executives that also worked on the same project. EVERY single one of them had the same problem and refused pick up. LOL.

I've had other times when clients sent me used stuff and still had problems. About the only time I didn't have problems when it was a single book or something from Amazon.com.

Never ship anything to Argentina if possible. Try to find someone that will be going down and they can carry it on.

Mafia I tell you....

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,890 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping to Argentina

After my first trip to the Post Office ( from hell) which really involved 2 trips .. and getting there at 8 am ( something I try never to do ) and standing in line for hours, then getting inside and sitting for hours, then getting a box that had been crushed, broken and rifled through... I told everyone that I know to Never Ever send me anything in the mail again.

My daughter actually has managed to get things into small envelopes that come by regular post but otherwise, if you can't bring it with you, don't send it.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipping to Argentina

Brings back deja vue for me Scarlett! LOL.

Yes, I did the same thing. I told EVERYONE I know never ever to ship anything to me.

Customs, always seems to value old junk as some "natural treasure" and want to tax the heck out of...

Sioux City, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipping to Argentina

i didnt see shipping on amazon to argentina as a possibility; i looked on amazon because my cousin said his friend has not had a problem with amazon and orders lots of stuff online..????

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shipping to Argentina

Yep. You can select Argentina (under the country) in the shipping section. Small books are just about the only thing I didn't have problems with customs taxes in Argentina. But mostly if it was a smaller book.

If it was several books I did have problems in the past sending to Argentina. This was back in 2011. I can't imagine with this governmental regime in power things are any easier.

If you can help it, always best to find someone that is going down and ask them to bring it. It's pretty bad there.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shipping to Argentina

Hi,

If you ship from the US, the best for me is USPS Priority Mail, I think it has a limit of size. I have received quite heavy and bulky amplifiers and guitars. From other countries, the official mail.

I have never had a problem with customs, of 16 items only one (coming from China) did not arrive, and it's a small low value item which might have got lost.

The smaller packages and lower priced are delivered directly to your home. When it requires customs payment and heavier packages you need to go to a special post office with customs. I paid the duties and tax, had to wait, but no issues. Just the value must be correct, because the customs officers can check the prices online. And the duties are charged on shipping as well. USPS priority mail is low priced, trackable and, to me, safe.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 17:36
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shipping to Argentina

Historically you never had to pay taxes here for printed material such as books and magazines. Unfortunately that has changed. And you know, when taxes are added, they are never removed, at least in Argentina.