We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe drinking water

connecticut
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
safe drinking water

is the water from the tap safe to drip?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe drinking water

Yes it is.

I understand that you can check this on the US State Department website that gives travel advice.

BA
Level Contributor
709 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe drinking water

Yes. But it tastes awful particularly of chlorine. I only drink filtered water, otherwise mineral.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe drinking water

I never drank the water when I lived there. Maybe certain parts of town are better than others but in Recoleta where I lived, you could actually smell the chlorine (or other chemicals) right from the tap. It was really horrible.

Probably "safe" to drink but I always just stuck with bottled water. Bottled water is sold everywhere from neighborhood corner stores to grocery stores and all points in between.

As patitoaway mentioned, at the very least I'd use a filter or something. I remember even parts of the year some years the government would advice pregnant women, elderly, etc. to drink the water. I figured if it wasn't safe for them it wasn't safe for me.. LOL.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 17:53
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe drinking water

I don't drink tap water.

I use tap water here for cooking, tea and coffee .. no side effects and that would have happened ... a particular talent I have is getting sick on food/water in strange places :)

But for everyday drinking, I drink agua con gas .. my husband drinks Malbec :)

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe drinking water

Municipal water in Argentina is very safe to drink, as it is in most of the southern cone, unlike much of the rest of the continent . The community health standards are very high, it is treated and purified to the same degree (or better) as it would be in Connecticut. The only exception would be very isolated rural areas, such as you might find in Formosa province.

Taste is another matter, and that varies.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
481 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe drinking water

We used tap water to brush our teeth and for cooking but drinking was always bottled. No ill effects here.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe drinking water

I agree with the above drinkers of Mineral Water. Argentina has very good real Mineral Water that is reasonably priced and it tastes far better than tap water. We use Mineral Water also for our Espresso Machine and for Tea and Mate.

Leaving taste issues aside, as stated the water is 100% safe to drink.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe drinking water

When I lived in Argentina, I had absolutely no trouble with the water. I drank water, all my salads were washed in water, ice was no problem etc. We did by preference drink mineral water at most times. Since living overseas, each time I travel back to Argentina I have to follow a strict regime of absolutely no water from a tap for at least ten days. If I don't I get ill very quickly. Water is disguised in so many things, so I do not have ice in my drinks, no lettuce or watercress except from certain restaurants that I know use filtered water to wash their salad ingredients. I am also careful of orange juice as water is sometimes added to freshly squeezed oj. With time this passes and I am able to be more moderate but I still drink mineral water and not tap water.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safe drinking water

Buenos Aires is one of the few places in the world where even the toilets use drinkable water (dont ask me why?), Yes the water IS DRINKABLE even from the shower, but according to most of the people who aren´t from here water of Buenos Aires have distinctive clhoride flavour. But that´s a common thing water taste different in different parts of the world, even mineral water. If you don´t like flavour just drink mineral water and save the tap water for teeth brushing and cooking.

10. Re: safe drinking water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 23:05