We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

Hi- I have citizenship in an EU country and the US, and in 2011 just used my EU passport upon entry with no problem.

Now I see they are asking you to pay prior to leaving the US (or may not even accept payment at EZE)? If I fly from the US (using my us passport to depart), but use my EU passport to enter- can I still avoid the entry fee? Thanks,

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,626 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

Purchase your ticket and enter Argentina using your EU Passport and the Reciprocity Fee becomes a moot point, no worries.

Cheers,

Terry

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

Thank you- unfortunately they do not allow me to leave the states on my eu passport.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,626 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

You should be able to depart on your US Passport and enter on your EU Passport, but in one instance that I am personally aware of they hit a snag. Read the gory details here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k6136…

Personally I would just go for it.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

Who are "they" that don't allow you to use your EU passport? Surely that is the point of having a passport - freedom of travel?

At worst, show your US passport to the border agency when leaving, and your EU passport to the airline checkin.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

peterscott,

Reading that thread that martian24 linked to will show you how what should be re. dual citizenship isn't always happening.

I can understand how someone with a US passport and flying from there to BA would not want to leave the US on his EU passport.

Europeans, at least ones flying to the US from some EU airports, must apply for US visas online well before they fly to the US. So if an American leaves the US on his EU passport, showing it to either US Customs or his airline, questions could be raised as to how he got into the US on an EU passport without a visa and separately, why is there now an EU national instead of the American who bought the ticket.

At which point that passenger will try to clear things up by bringing out his US passport. In this case, especially if he bought his ticket citing his US citizenshiop or used a US-issued credit card, some airlines' employees have the authority to say he owes the Argentine reciprocal fee.

The last thing one wants to do is to use 2 different passports in the same county.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
220 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

Just got back from Buenos Aires. We had the same issue. You will depart from the US with your US passport, then on board the plane, they may "scan" for you and ask for the Reciprocity Fee receipt. This is when you show your EU passport, then it is no problem..airline staff clears you. Then when you land in Argentina, just present the EU passport as well. They even checked out our other passport (US) just to make sure they identify you correctly since we never use the EU passport for traveling (or rarely)...and it's OK. Have fun!

Edited: 05 April 2013, 00:03
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

Thanks trvcrzy.

Hi sockhopper - I appreciate your post. I just think that anyone entering or leaving the US will use their US passport. But that doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't use the EU one to gain entry to other countries.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

peterscott,

Exactly! Americans wouldn't present their EU passports to leave the US. No American has to give up or not use his US identity so as not pay a fee that he doesn’t owe as a citizen of another country when flying to a third one of which he’s not a national. If you saw that suggested in the thread linked to, it happened because someone proposed that as a way of not having to pay the fee when leaving the US or Canada when flying to BA without considering the ramifications of a dual national residing in North America, even born there, presenting himself as a non-North American citizen to North American authorities! Doing that would raise a suspicion of a fraudulent use of one’s dual nationality and no one would do that.

What at least one airline is doing to apply the Argentine fee in advance of flying to EZE from a fee-owing country seriously interferes with the proper and standard practice of using one passport per country. This is happening because some airlines in the fee-owing countries are mis-applying the Argentine fee to the wrong citizens because they ignorantly think that exiting on one passport when leaving one country compels a dual national to enter his next country (a third one of which he’s not a national) on the same passport. That is so basically and plainly wrong.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

Then, can you leave the country with that country passport (Australian in my case) and then show the EU passport in argentina, even when the airline has the Aus passport?

ny
Level Contributor
179 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entry Fee w/ dual citizenship?

oh, i didn't even think of this. i have US/EU and already paid the reciprocity online. i don't suppose anyone has had any success with a refund? i suspect it may be more trouble than it's worth..