We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

Some tourists like to take in a soccer match when in BA, and among the more popular teams for visitors are Boca Juniors and River. Anyone with tickets to the Boca-Newell's match this coming Sunday, May 26, or the River-Argentinos Juniors match for Sunday, June 2, or with plans to buy tickets, should be advised that the time of both matches has been changed to 9:30 p.m., at the direction of the Argentinian government.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

Is no one curious as to why the government directed this change in time? :)

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

I know the reason Punta, but I guess it's not fair for me to answer, since I'm a local ...

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

So, why did the government institute this change in starting times for the matches of the major soccer teams ?

What is the reason ?

PuntaLugano ? Verobaires ? Anyone ?

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
458 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

The rumor is that it was done to cut down on the number of people watching Lanata's "Periodisma Para Todos" at the same time, a program they have been trying to run off the air for exposing government corruption on at the same time, available now only on satellite tv and internet due to the heavy government censorship here. Apparently,some bars and restaurants with satellite tv were showing it to some popular demand, and this will cut down on such demand due to insistence by some customers to show the popular matches of River and Boca. Local fans are po'd because local transport is shutdown early on Sunday evenings, as well as the fact that the holigans are more emboldened to commt crimes after matches in the dark.

Generally, people should know that futbol matches (I refuse to use the""s" word) in Argentina arenot formally set as to date and time until less than a week before, and then are often changed at the last minute for commercial or security reasons, so those buying tickets should be aware of this, epsecially those travelling on tight schedules. It is the deja vu of caveat emptor all over again..

Argentina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

<<The government-cotrolled “Free soccer for all” programme has done this to take audiences away from Jorge Lanata’s highly rated "Periodismo Para Todos" on Channel 13 at the same time.

This programme is critical of the government and has reached an extraordinarily high rating of 35 per cent.>>

Since the beggining of this season, corruption in the government has been Lanata's main topic.

buenosairesherald.com/article/131480/boca-ri…

Argentina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

Sorry, beachesl !

I posted just after you, I did not have the time to see you had already answered.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 11:48
Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
458 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

Ahh, okay, I did not know it was actually broadcast on a normal channel in BA. It is not available here in Mendoza, or most of the rest of the country.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

This is amazing - and so disturbing. Thank you both for the explanation. {Sorry, 'Futbol', Beaches}. I wonder if the sports bars can get two (2) TVs going at once ? Argentina may not cry for me, but I find myself crying for Argentina....

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

…infobae.com/notas/711466-El-rating-del-Futb…

This shows that Lanata's program (blue) has outdrawn the government's broadcast of soccer (red) every time, so far, but the overlap in timing has been minimal (about half an hour) and there was no match involving Boca. Now, the government has moved the time of the matches to overlap much more with Lanata's program, and one of the upcoming Sunday night matches involves Boca. I don't know if it will do it, but Channel 13, which broadcasts Lanata's program, has an easy gambit to counter this -- simply move his program back an hour or so.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change of Time for Certain Soccer Matches

Marnie....you said it SOOOOOO well. "Argentina may not cry for me, but I find myself crying for Argentina".......

mega dittos.