We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Gaucho Ranch is best

Beverley Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which Gaucho Ranch is best

We will be staying in Buenos Aires for 3 nights in November and want to visit a gaucho ranch for one day. We will need transport from our hotel. Ayt recommendations for a good ranch to visit. We want to be able to ride the horses and see the gauchos. A bit od dancing would also be good but not essential.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

Are you looking to book and plan things yourselves or do you want an upscale turnkey solution...? I know some private guides that can offer you an all-in solution but they concentrate on upscale services. Depending on what you are looking for, I may be able to put you in contact with the right person.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
765 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

Hola york!

How are you?

As Gaucho suggested there are different options for Estancias.

If you want really ride horses (and not just a 5-minutes ride) probably I would suggest to stay overnight in a Estancia.

If you want to "give a look" to the area and have the feeling of an Argentina Estancia, then you can take a day trip.

Hope it helps!

Veronica

Say Hueque Tours

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

With only 3 nights total in Buenos Aires I would recommend that you visit an estancia just as a day trip. One of the best and less touristy Estancias to visit outside Buenos Aires is Estancia La Porteña. They offer long horse rides, gaucho skills demonstrations, and a very intimate dance and music show. The private transfer may be expensive but it usually includes a tour to the town of San Antonio de Areco. There´s also a bus from Downtonw Buenos Aires for a cheaper transfer option.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

read reviews before you book anywhere. I looked at length in 2010 and many estansias seemed old and tired, and the facility and also the horse rides were not well reviewed. we gave up.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

BA Sandy, I always wanted to go to La Portena .. now I guess we will go there as tourists :)

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

Sorry for jumping on this thread. We went to Don Silvano some years ago and liked it. Is it still good? We plan to be back soon and could not decide which Dia de Campo to book. Therefore we would be interested in the answers as well.

Beverley Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

I'v just had a look at some reviews and La Portina seems to be a bit hit and miss and more of a place to stay rather than for a day trip. We would have liked to stay overnight but have already booked hotel for three nights in BA and as this is our first visit we do want to see the city as well. I have looked at Don Silvano but seems very touristy which may or may not be a good thing. Still confused which to choose. Gaucho100k what sort of cost are you thinking of for the upscale experience please.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 09:53
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,560 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

I h ave been to 4 estancias for day trips-- Don Silvano, Santa Susana, la Cinacina, and Dos Hermanos. The first three are all " touristy" in the sense that they feature gaucho shows, Dancing, brief horseback rides, music, wine and a barbecue. At Don Silvano you can even milk a cow if the mood strikes you.

Dos Hermanos is a much different experience--- no gauchos in native garb performing tricks on horses, no music and dance, no cow to milk....just a day in the country riding horses with a break for a nice lunch under the shade of an old tree.

Both experiences are lots of fun. It depends on whether you are content with a 15 minute ride around the pasture as part of a day of food, wine and entertainment, or five hours of horseback riding without all the glitz.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 12:17
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

Where can o but the estancia tour day?

Yorkshire Uk
Level Contributor
377 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best

Still not got sorted for our day at a ranch. Do you have any more details of upscale experience, Gaucho 100.