We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Question?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
339 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Question?

How much is customar for...

Restaurant?

Taxi?

Bellman?

Thank you.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Question?

Restaurants are usually 10% of the bill.

Bellman are usually what you tip at home, but tip at the official rate of pesos and not the blue rate 5.46 pesos=1 dollar.

No tip in taxi since it is included in the price. Usually the bill is rounded up; for example if the meter says 18 pesos then give 20 peso note.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Question?

We had to take our dog to a vet for a surgery . The hospital was out by the soccer stadium .. a long taxi ride.

Not only did we have lovely taxi drivers who were kind and helpful but on the way back, the taxi driver got out, and lifted our standard poodle out of the car and carried him to the door of the building .. without being asked.

And he still would not take a tip. We always did as ricardo suggests, round up ... that time, we rounded up big lol

Northampton...
Level Contributor
146 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Question?

I'm not wealthy, but I try to leave generous tips. Many of the service people taking care of me work long, hard days, and have to deal with economic crises and downturns that I'm not subject to (yet) in the U.S. The vast majority of the servers and taxi drivers I meet really appreciate it and are very gracious. When I'm getting pesos at the blue rate, it's a pittance for me. And Scarlett, I always love your story about your dog!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Question?

And don’t forget to leave a little something for the maid who cleans your room. They usually are really helpful lovely ladies.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
339 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Question?

When we we feel that the service was or good or the person worked really hard, we would leave...

10% for Taxi especially for special car servive...unless we feel like we were taken advantage off...then just round up...of total

Restaurant - 10% for good...15% for friendly of total

Hotel Made - 20 Pesos per day

Bellman - 10 Pesos per job

6. Re: Tipping Question?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 07:18