We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

Georgetown, TX
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

We will spend two days in BA in December aboard a cruise ship. I'd like to spend the second day exploring the Tigre Delta. I understand that there is a company called Sturla that is in P. Madero near the cruise port which can take us to the Tigre. A month ago I found their website, which was all in Spanish, so I couldn't find out much. Today I can't even get to their website.

I'd like to know if they have a tour option that would get us to and from the Tigre Delta by boat from P. Madero, and have us tour the Delta by the same or a different boat. And of course, I'm interested in scheules and prices, too. I'm wondering if there is someone in their office that speaks English, to whom I could send an email.

I'd appreciate any and all advice. Many thanks!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

As an alternative to taking a boat to Tigre then you can take a train from the Retiro train station. The train station is within walking distance of the cruise terminal, but I do not suggest walking but taking a taxi since the neighborhood is bad.

Trains leave every 20 minutes to Tigre, which is end of the line and the roundtrip tickets are the equivalent of $US2.The train ride takes about 50 minutes to Tigre. The 2 min taxi ride to the train station will probably cost you more than the train ride.

After arriving in Tigre then the boat terminal for Delta cruising is across the street from the train station.

You might enjoy a lunch on the Delta. A good restaurant is El Gatto Blanco which has dining on terraces overlooking the delta. In the boat terminal area then the restaurant has a kiosk where the attendant will reserve a table for you and reserve the boat(lancha) out to the restaurant. The trip takes about 50 minutes and gives you a good look at delta life. When lunch is finished then the restaurant will flag a lancha for the return to Tigre city.

2. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 15:35
3. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 15:35
Georgetown, TX
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

Ricardo BA, I like your suggestion, and it seems straight forward enough for we four seniors to manage it! I've found the train schedule online, as well as the restuaran's website. We'll be there on Saturday, and I'd think wf we went for an early lunch, we shouldn't encounter the difficulties some people did in getting the launch back to Tigre. Would you recommend any stops on the train ride?

Many thanks....

Martha

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

Hi Martha,

I didn't realize that you were going on the weekend. Tigre gets very busy on weekends, because the city residents use it as a beach and relaxation destination.

The train gets extremely crowded and most of the time standing room only.

I like Tigre during the week when it is an enjoyable and relaxing experience.

On the weekends, I find the city more enjoyable since most people have departed. The park areas of Palermo are lovely for exploring.

The Evita Museum in Palermo Botanico is interesting and the outdoor garden restaurant makes for an enjoyable afternoon. This is also walkable to the Palermo Park areas.

If you have two days then maybe Tigre on Friday then the city on Saturday.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 05:14
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

The Evita Museum in Palermo Botanico is interesting and the outdoor garden restaurant makes for an enjoyable afternoon. This is also walkable to the Palermo Park areas.

-------

yes!

and to the zoo and other places. !!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

Hillcountrytraveller,

WARNING: very long post by person who’s missing Tigre because she’s been away from it for 18 months.

If you take up Ricardo's suggestion to take a boat to "Gato Blanco", I urge you to book a table there before you leave home especially during November and December. Its lovely terrace can be packed at lunch even on weekdays in summer although the rest of the Delta is utterly peaceful on weekdays. I was turned away the one time I planned to eat there because I hadn’t booked. I pretty well got on my knees begging for a seat by saying that I was travelling 12,000 miles here and 12,000 home again just to eat here – a minor exaggeration that took me 3 goes at improving before the waiter swished a starched tablecloth over a table next to a tree for me. Not booking ahead is very risky in summer on week-ends. This was the first time I’d gone to Tigre on a week-end. I suggest that you e-mail “Gato” soon and ask when is the soonest you can book to be guaranteed a table for your group. And if possible, schedule your day in the Delta on a weekday when Tigre is almost unpopulated and entirely peaceful.

Regarding transport to/from this restaurant from the town of Tigre, you don’t have to buy those expensive private boat/meal combinations at the kiosks. Instead, tickets for the PUBLIC ‘lanchas’ (like Venice’s ‘vaporetti’ but these lanchas are beautifully varnished brown wood inside and out) operated by “Interslena” are sold in the old building behind those kiosks that sell all the tours using private boats.

-Allow 30 minutes for your cab ride to Retiro Station (“Retiro Estacion de Tren”) and to queue and buy that cheap return BA/Tigre Delta train ticket. Knowing that these trains to Tigre are frequent and the ride takes one hour at most, be sure to catch a train by 10am latest so as to arrive in Tigre by 11am latest.

-Then, crossing the always busy road out front of Tigre’s modern railway station and walking to the “estacion fluvial” alongside the water needs about 5 minutes. Allow 10 to take in the view along the river. Join the queue in the ticket office in that building for the public boats to Gato Blanco from Tigre. Ask the cashier for a RETURN (“ida y vuelta”) billete por Gato Blanco del Rio Capitan“ (the name of the channel off the Rio Parana in which this restaurant is located). Disembark at the ‘Rio Capitan’ stop. Keep an eye out for this stop. Nobody calls out stops. When you’ve been on the water for about 35 minutes, start paying closer attention to the ‘bus stop’ name at each dock you pull into. The restaurant is straight in front of you up the terrace. Here is Interslena’s schedules’ page:

http://www.laisladelta.com.ar/hornteris.html

-Once you’ve your ticket in Tigre, join the queue outdoors for “Rampa 1”. The latest public lancha you must catch leaves here at 11:30am and takes 50 minutes. (Check the current schedule for any changes to times I give here.) The next lancha isn’t until about 12:45pm which wouldn’t give you enough time to order and eat lunch leisurely before the restaurant cleans up and closes for the day. Missing that 11:30am boat would ruin your day since all the private boat tours set out from Tigre at 11am.

-The responsibility to catch the latest public boat back from the resto to Tigre is all yours. I knew that the last lancha would leave the dock at 3pm from ‘Gato’ because I’d researched. Don’t expect the restaurant to alert you to when the public lanchas arrive. It doesn’t. It’s against its interest to do that because it makes more money from you if you arrive and depart in one of the expensive private boats of its associates. (Tigre is strongly associate-centric in business. I know 2 separate business owners in Tigre who abhor this, insist on staying clear of ‘package’ arrangements and who, instead, promote only the independent service they each separately offer.) I stood on the dock at 2:50pm so that the public lancha would know I was waiting for it, so that I could see it dock below the terrace. It stopped for 30 seconds at most to pick up 2 locals and me. Had I missed that boat, I’d read that my only option would be to pay the restaurant for an expensive ticket on a private boat it arranges to take customers back to Tigre. This is exploitive but there's no other way back to Tigre. The boats you see on the water there are mostly Delta dwellers going to this or that nearby island in this more densely populated area of the Delta. Thy aren't going to Tigre so I doubt that hitchhiking one could work!

My day was lovely. No hitches. Tranquil. Pretty setting. The meal was ordinary, the wine okay. Paying the most for the least isn’t so bad knowing you’ll be back in BA in time for dinner and realizing that the huge costs of every commodity having to be got and brought by boats and protecting the ecology of these some 2,000 islands and UN Biosphere must be costly. Prior to this meal at “Gato” I’d already toured the Delta for some 20 hours altogether on 4 holidays in a motorized dinghy with a private local guide so I thought it was time to try ‘Gato’ for a change, especially since I’d be in Tigre only for one daytime this holiday and not my usual 2 days with an overnight stay. I enjoyed the lunch experience but it seemed odd to be just sitting and eating. That doesn't compare with cutting the motor to pad close to tiny turtles sunbathing on a dead log in one of the Delta’s narrowest channels; making our silent way around the breaks in a carpet of huge white water lilies the whole length of what would be considered a small ‘mid-sized’ channel there.Or counting the 12 minutes left until another channel we were in would completely disappear with the tide gathering it up and taking it away.

To combine this restaurant with a stop in the very pleasant town of San Isidro on your way back would complicate your one day away too much as a first-time visitor to Tigre on account of your having to catch that 11:30am boat to “Gato”; the fact of 2-50 minute rides to and from it; and the fact that you won’t be back in Tigre until 4pm. And because to combine those specific 2 activities most efficiently in relation to where your return lancha to Tigre docks in town, you’d have to know about the 2 distinct train systems that operate on tracks on the opposite sides of San Isidro and have a good map to walk the 40 minutes across San Isidro from one station to the other. The timing I’ve given you specific to going to “Gato” uses the easier, faster, and more direct route on just one train on one route of the national railway which also happens to be the most economical way to get to and from Tigre.

If you weren’t going to “Gato” and instead just taking one of the little delta tours up and down the river (boring because it’s the channels that provide the Delta’s character and wonders, not the rivers) it would be easy to do Tigre first and then stop at San Isidro on your way back to BA. (Read this forum’s archives on the “Tren de la Costa”, the other train line with its own track for half the distance between BA and San Isidro/Tigre.)

It would really be worthwhile for you to delve thoroughly into this forum’s archived posts discussing Tigre, the Delta and San Isidro because guide books don’t know or show all the options that visitors to BA have discovered themselves, tried out, evaluated and reported on here in terms of what’s doable and comfortable or not. Only this forum does - in English, at least.

I think you’d be better off to lunch at “Gato” on your day away and to be able to do it like regular people do using cheap public transport. Were you to opt for the expensive boat/dinner combo, it won’t alleviate the careful timing or much of the research you need to do. It’s not worth paying 10 times more for a combined boat/meal package.

Returning to Tigre at 4pm from "Gato", you could then either cross the bridge near “Rampa 1” to walk on the other side of the river towards Victoria Point for about 20 minutes and back again. There's an ice cream shop just across the bridge. Or you could go to Tigre’s “Fruit Market” which sells mostly articles of whicker and some stylish modern home wares fortunately not made of whicker. You could have a coffee and dulce de leche at Tigre’s branch of “Havana” in the market near the water and then walk the little streets back to the national railway station that's now familiar to you. If you catch the 6pm train back to BA, you’ll arrive there in time to freshen up (and maybe even have a manicure) for the whole evening and dinner ahead of you. Be sure to take a cab from Retiro Station to your hotel. I take only the 6pm train back from Tigre because I don't want to be in Retiro Station from 8pm on. And there’s absolutely nothing to do in Tigre after dark anyway.

Regarding the boat service,"Sturla", from Puerto Madero to Tigre, I understand it's of limited use because its last boat back to BA leaves Tigre around 4pm. You'll find info on that service in this forum's archives too if you've not already found its website yourself.

I hope you have a great trip and post about it afterwards!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

whats the approximate price difference between the private launch transit with or without lunch, and the public launches which must be without lunch??

Thnak you.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

Just to clarify: The kiosk for El Gato Blanco will reserve the table for you and they will sell you the roundtrip ticket for the cheaper lancha public transport to the restaurant. If you want a private boat out to the restaurant then they can arrange for that, also. However, the kiosk's first choice is the cheaper lancha.

In addition, the restaurant will refund to you part of the lancha ticket towards the purchase of your lunch at the restaurant.

Georgetown, TX
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tigre Delta Day Trip from Cruise Port

Dear Sockhopper...what a wonderfully detailed and informative post! It was sooooo helpful. It sounds like it would be a lot better for us to go on Friday rather than Saturday, so I'm going to see if that's a possibility. (I've booked a guide for Friday in BA.) If not, then I need to make a decision. We're active seniors, but don't enjoy large crowded venues, and we don't speak Spanish. It sounds like doing it on our own on Saturday might be very confusing and hectic. Which means that if we do have to go to Tigre on Saturday, Sturla might be the best option for us. I did manage to get into their website, and the Google translator provides the basic info for the two guided tours that they run out there. I have read some posts on TA, too. Thanks so much for taking the time to decant your experiences!