We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US currency demoninations??

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
US currency demoninations??

Apologies to those tired of the money questions. I've got the message to bring pristine bills and convert them at the blue rate vendors (that I assume my local guide will identify).

My guess is: Is the only denomination accepted US$100.

And how pristine do the bills have to be? Is this like in Burma where they basically want bills with the ink still wet?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US currency demoninations??

No... not as bad as Burma but still in very good condition. No torn or written on bills... some normal wear is OK.

Have a good trip.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US currency demoninations??

You should be able to cash other denominations. The reason why new bills. Colombia takes advantage of lower wages to produce US currency cheaper than you can get it in the US. Although the best quality bills pass every test, there are some less expensive versions with minor flaws. One way to mask these is to rub some dirt and wrinkle the bill. Hence the reluctance to accept dirty money. Because of production efficiencies they tend to print $100 bills. BTW... world wide there are more $100 US bills in circulation than any other denomination.

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US currency demoninations??

I exchanged both $50s & $100s. They weren't fresh off the press by any means, but i would consider the bills in fairly decent shape. As mentioned, no tears or writing.

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: US currency demoninations??

If you have small bills , you can use them at restaurants. Many restos in micro centro offer rates very close to those of the money changers on Florida street and they usually don't specify what bills they will or won't take. Although I'm sure they'd prefer bigger bills , most will take the smaller ones. Be careful though when handing the bill to the waiter, and say the denomination of the bill when give you it to him. One guy I encountered came back with change for a $50 bill even though I gave him a $100 bill.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US currency demoninations??

We are traveling to Argentina in December. Our 1st stop will be El Califate then Bariloche, Salta and Iguazu Falls ending in Beunos Airies. Can anyone advise the best places to change US Dollars in those towns? I know Florida St in Buenos Airies but what about the other places?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US currency demoninations??

When you arrive in El Calafate, check into your hotel and ask the front desk to give you a place to trade your currency, they will surely know where to direct you and/or they may be able to do the trade themselves. Just make sure to communicate that you know about the blue rate and they will be able to provide you with a solution.

Sydney
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US currency demoninations??

Just got back from Sth. America. All US$ denominations are acceptable. In fact, I would advise bringing smaller note as most small vendors cannot exchange US$100 bills. The notes doesn't have to be crisped and new. Since I have transport from airport to hotel, I didn't have to worry about changing to Arg. pesos for taxi at the airport...so this is what I did.

Walk into any restaurants (assuming you are hungry now). Ask what their exchange rate is. Most will quote between 8.5 to 9.5. Some restaurans even post the rate on the window. I happen to walk into one where they quoted 9.5 Ordered my meal, paid in US$20 bills. Got back the change in Arg.pesos. That's a quick way to exchange US$ to Arg.pesos without the risk of getting fake currencies by many on the street shouting 'cambio'. Official rate is about 5.5. If you do use credit card, it will be charged at the official rate. I paid most in US$ when shopping as they exchange about 9 pesos, on average.

By the way, although US is acceptable in most places, you will need Arg. pesos. All corner convenience shops will only accept pesos. You need this for water or small items like chips, chocs... Hope this helps.

I visited Brazil, Peru and Chile... My experience... change in town, when you can. Airport is still OK but it's better in town. Whatever you do... don't change in your country of origin.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US currency demoninations??

Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I arrive in Argentina via a tour group so I don't have to worry about airport taxis, etc.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: US currency demoninations??

Hello. In terms of denomination, you’ll get a better price for 100 bills, so I encourage you to bring that denomination only. The bills must be in good shape, but not as new as in Burma. You’ll find is easier to exchange money than most people think. Just ask your hotel’s concierge or the people from the temporary rental company where to go.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US currency demoninations??

Thanks. Very helpful info.