We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Argentina - 2 weeks

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Argentina - 2 weeks

Here is a quick summary report of our recent 2 weeks in Argentina. As usual TripAdvisor travel forum helped navigate us and I'd like to share in return:

1) Buenos Aires - Took Remis from EZE into city, hired the remis directly at airport, straight forward; stayed at Serena hotel, lovely boutique hotel in nice Recoleta area. Stayed 2 nights. Visited the MALBA, walked around Palermo, lovely restaurants/cafe, walked around park, Japanese garden, San Telmo Sunday market lovely handcraft artwork, Recoleta cemetary and other areas. Cabs were easy to get, took some of the Radio Taxi and some just cabs that were available, found the cabs all decent, no one tried to fool us with counterfait money. Walked easily and comfortably during the day and same in early evening. Just used common sense as in any city in USA at night.

2) Flew with Aerolineas Airlines (4 separate flights), all went well; one was 2 hours delay and another almost 45 minutes delay, nothing to call home about and complain as same can be said about US airlines delay. Service was good, luggage always arrived and good. Did not come across any luggage weight issues including the hand luggage took on the flight with me. Obviously, dont take a large suitcase with you on the flight but the same restrictions would apply on US hand luggage. One of the days was a holiday weekend and I noticed the lines at LAN in Newberry airport were significantly longer and most of their flights were delayed, so happy selected Airolineas airlines.

3) El-Calafate - stayed at Design Hotel, lovely boutique hotel, amazing view to the lake; Took MarPatag full day navigation around Upsala and Spegazzini glaciers; Booked through US travel agency Borello Travel which arranged 6 nights of our Patagonia experience; Marpatag was full day excursion and was very unique, excellent boat service, staff, and guide; Glaciers were just incredible; Another day did Perito Moreno Glacier, mini trekking which was amazing and highly recommend, total trip for the trekking was 4-5hours; following had a private guide and driver take us to view the impressive Perito Moreno Glacier from the main viewing point, since we did the trekking in the morning we arrived to the main viewing post in the mid-afternoon around 3-3:30 which was nice as there were no crowds, most tour buses come earlier and typically 1,000's of people at around noon through 1 PM, so this was perfect. Visited El-Calafate village most nights for dinner which was lovely; La Fenda Parilla - off main street was excellent, sort of a hole in the wall place but excellent local parilla, nothing fancy. La Lehuza, italian pizza joint was just OK. Tried a crepe place for dessert, it is down not far from the church on the main road, was cute littel place and very tasty.

4) Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdez - Wished stayed longer; Visited Punta Tombo, tour guide was excellent, was one of the highlights of our trip to visit with the Penguins;was arrnaged via our US travel agency Borello Travel; Stayed at Territorio Hotel - beautiful hotel and excellent service, on further end of the coast but we are talking about 5 minutes cab ride and cab is in-expensive; La Estrela restaurant for 2 nights of dinner, enjoyed it so much one night returned the following.

5) Salta - 1 day, lovely colonian town; hard to enjoy after the amazing days in patagonia as it is more city like, but it is a lovely town; Stayed at Design Suites, was not a fan of the hotel, room smelled, very different than the Design Hotel we stayed in El-Calafate, staff was ok, I felt too young and too hip and hotel was nothing special; breakfast was nothing to write about and I could not wait to leave the hotel; Ate at Dona Salta - good food but too long of a wait on a weekend night and too large of a restaurant; we continued into NW Argentina, had a driver pick us up.

6) Tilcara/Purmacara/Jujuy - Lovely area; Mountain, lots of color, people so friendly, peaceful; Stayed in Tilcara in Posada De Luz, lovely place; Did 1 day Ilama trekking with the Ilama caravan arranged through the posada, highly recommend, what an experience, the owner guide Santos was great, it was so much fun and different; we had a small group of only 7 of us, perfect, we did the afternoon/early evening trekking; At top of mountain stopped for a nice picnic with cheese, water, tea (mata), homemade sweet cake, fruit, etc. Had a private remis drive us to/from airport. Took 2 hours to/from Salta. Dined at 2 restaurants in Tilcara: El Nuevo Progreso - very good; and right across the street from it was El Patio, which was also good, unfortunately that night was just too exhaused from the Ilama treking and the earlier treking we did earlier in the morning that could not enjoy the meal as much but the restaurant was good

7) Buenos Aires - returned last 3 nights to BA; Stayed at Sofitel, service impeccable, breakfast selection was perfect, luxurious hotel with unparalled service in nice Recoletta area; Having already been 3 other nights in BA, visited other parts of town previously missed; shopped, visited with 2 local co-workers who took us to a local Pizzaeria which was amazing, when we left at 11 the line out the restaurant was with perhaps 20-30 additional people waiting in line; I don't have the name handy here but can get it. Primarly serves pizza. Nothing fancy, local place. Also went to Parilla Pena, another local parilla recommended by another friend, awesome food and an experience, wide wine selection, this is a place to sit and take your time to enjoy your meal. Ate also at Cevaro area at Italian place, was also good; forget the name but can get it from one of our pictures.

8) Airports, all were good, small as compared to US airports; EZE busiest but easy to navigate; in Newberry airport, one of the trip days had a gap during the day when we arrived in the morning from a connecting flight from Trelew until our evening flight to Salta so we used the airport storage facility which was very easy and in-expensive, was safe and I don't hesitate to recommend it, we then took a taxi into the city to enjoy 5-6 hours we had in between; I don't believe the same option exists in EZE based on earlier reviews in the forum

9) Safety- As mentioned earlier we did not encounter any issues; just used common sense as would in any other city especially in the evening; Used cabs multiple times a day without a glitch; Harder to get one during evening rush hour between 5-6:30 PM but otherwise perfect; Argentinans are kind and helpful, gracious and willing to lend a hand

We cannot wait to return to Argentina and visit other parts of the country. Hope others have a safe and enjoyable trip as we did and hope my information is useful for others! Adios!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Argentina - 2 weeks

What a terrific Trip Report, TalKen. I enjoyed all of it...remembering those places I've been to and attracted to those still on our 'to get there' list. You did a really good job of being general and specific....most helpful for others planning, and remembering, their own adventures.

Muchas Gracias.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Argentina - 2 weeks

Thanks so much for your excellent trip report. Was so happy to hear that you enjoyed Argentina. Your report will be very helpful to other travelers and to us DES's since we don't visit all those places everyday and it's good to hear new ideas..

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Argentina - 2 weeks

Anyone who reads this report will immediately grasp what it's like to spend time in several places in Argentina and how easy things can be. A very valuable report!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,840 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Argentina - 2 weeks

"Argentineans are kind and helpful, gracious and willing to lend a hand" ... Amen to that !

I don't think I have ever lived among so many kind and helpful people .. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay .. I am trying to figure out how to hurry back for a visit .. or to get my kids to want to live there with me.

Berlin
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Argentina - 2 weeks

Amazing report of an amazing trip and thank you so much for sharing your experiences in this post! Argentina is certainly addictive. There are so many regions to travel to, so many different landscapes and Buenos Aires deserves a long visit, it’s a fantastic city with tons of things to do. And I love Argentine, I really enjoy myself every time I come back.

6. Re: Trip Report Argentina - 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 07:18