We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
160 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

I visited Buenos Aires back in 2011 and loved it and am thinking about returning for a week this Spring. Will I be stunned by how much costs have increased in the last 3 years?

I know there has been enormous inflation but when I last visited the exchange rate was 4 pesos to every US dollar. I've read through lots of posts on the forum about inflation and the "blue rate" but haven't been able to get good sense things.

Thanks for your help!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

I have American friends in BsAs at the moment and they say they have never seen the dollar go so far. During their stay the peso has fallen about 20%.

What is it that you are not able to get a sense of....the blue rate? Restaurant prices?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

On Florida on 4 feb 2014, cambio street hawkers were offering 12.2 per $100. Week before, 13.0!!! Paid $25 us for two after having bottle of wine and two ravioli chicken w/ parma cheese sauce... Tip included!!!

See about purchasing SUBE card for bus and subte... I wrote a post re this.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Although you will be surprised of how much the prices increased since 2011, if you take advantage of the blue rate whilst exchanging US$ the trip will cost you a lot less. Check the posts regarding blue exchange rates here and enjoy your vacation.

Dallas
Level Contributor
46 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

We just returned from a week in Buenos Aires and because of the blue rate, it was really, really affordable. We learned of a place to safely change money in an office by the Alvear Palace Hotel. We received 11.5 pesos to the dollar twice last week. Send me a message if you want more info on where it is.

To give you an example of the costs, we went to Don Julio's for dinner and had the best steaks we had during the trip. For two bife de lomo (filets), a bottle of malbec, a dessert that we split, and tip, it was around 570 pesos--so just under $50. For a similar meal at one of Dallas' finer steakhouses, it would have been about $100 more.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
945 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

I agree with the prior comment. The exchange rate for dollars (if you exchange at a cambio and get 11.4 to 1) and inflation allow for very affordable meals. The hotels are not AS much of a deal comparatively for US citizens (compared to SF prices) even if you pay with dollars which we did. But food, drink and leather costs are very affordable. Example: 7 course amazing dinner at I Latina for 4, including the wine pairing, including older rums (which cost 1/4 of our bill!), including overtipping because the service was so amazing -- $100 each. Lunch for 7 people at La Cantina de Hugo (La Brigata's Italian sister restaurant) with two bottles red wine and one champagne, appetizers, salads and mains, including tip < $1,600 pesos. Lunch at the Alvear Art Hotel's salad amazing salad bar = $150 pesos per person including a glass of wine. And these are all higher end places, can eat for much, much less.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Hello,

I am travelling to BsAs next week and would like to know where to exchange US dollars for the blue rate. Thanks

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Read above post re: Av Florida. It is at end of subte station Catedral.

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

We are going to Argentina in two weeks and would love to know the place you exchanged your money near the Alvear Palace Hotel. We want to do this safely and are somewhat concerned about just going anyplace. Also did you find Buenos Aires safe?

Thank you,

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Hi we are going to Buenos Aires end of the month please expain the blue rate

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

We just returned from our trip to B'sA's a few days ago and were hesitant tp exchange money at the Blue Rate on Florida Street. We read quite a few bad stories about tourists being mugged or cheated on when exchanging money there but the reality and our experience was the opposite of what we had heard prior to our trip.

We exchanged money twice on Florida Street and the first time it felt weird when the guy on the street who keeps calling "Cambio" took us to a shop just up the stairs in a small plaza. There was a guy sitting in a small room that had nothing but a desk and a chair in there and he asked us how much we wanted to exchanged. He handed over the pesos while we counted and checked each bill. In the meanwhile the other guy had already left to bring in new customers. After we checked each bill, we handed him over our USD and then we left. It was pretty straight forward. You get used to exchanging money this way, once you've done it once.

The second time was the same. We were taken to a small shop on Florida and we had time to check each bill.

Unfortunately, the weekend we were there, it was a public holiday weekend so the Blue Rate was lower than the days before our arrival: 1 USD was between 10.5 to 10.9. However, due to getting the blue rate, our trip was very affordable. :)