We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
158 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

I visited Buenos Aires back in 2011 and loved it and am thinking about returning for a week this Spring. Will I be stunned by how much costs have increased in the last 3 years?

I know there has been enormous inflation but when I last visited the exchange rate was 4 pesos to every US dollar. I've read through lots of posts on the forum about inflation and the "blue rate" but haven't been able to get good sense things.

Thanks for your help!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

I paid what I've already stated that I believe to be an understandable and reasonable reciprocity fee. If our government imposes a fee on another country's citizens, it is completely fair for them to do the same to us. What's your question about what I said?

I'm considering returning to Argentina because I would like to explore it more. I have never thought of another country as a "outpost" of America. That is ridiculous.

I used Houston is an example simply because I live here. Yes there are plenty of places that are cheap that I would consider a horrible value. However, when I travel, yes, I would like to find a better deal if I'm not hurting someone else by doing so, and yes, I would love to travel well economically. That is a relative term. I just returned from sticker shock London a couple of weeks ago and I think it's fair to point out how very expensive it is. It's not saying don't go there, it's just a fact that the cost of living is very expensive there compared to many other cities.

I've been to Thailand three times over the years and love it. I am not trying to compare the cost of travel there to Buenos Aires.

I have already said that I was mistaken when I thought that an Argentinine holiday was going to be somewhat comparable to Mexico and other countries in South/Central America. I said I was surprised but that is not stopping me from considering returning. I'm not sure what you find so offensive about that.

I'm trying to find a way to keep my daily expenses averaging closer to $200 rather than $100. This is not a political commentary. It's just trying to find travel advice about where to stay and where to eat in order to be able to travel pretty well somewhat frequently. I cannot do that if I stay in a place like London long-term.

I can feel your passion about your beloved Argentina and I appreciate it. I am not being critical here, I'm just trying to get information about the possibility of traveling well there within my budget.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
119 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Wow. Seems like one destination expert for BsAs has their panties in a knot. Talk about generalizing an entire nation of people! What has happened to courtesy and politeness here? America is not full of rich, spoiled people looking for a great deal everywhere and stepping on disadvantaged people to get it. Yikes.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

For safely consideration, do not exchange money after dark. Remember, some will try to rip you off or take your money. Since using those Cambio are illegal, you will not able to go to police to compliant.

The best option I find is go to permanent newspaper stands, there are lots of them on Florida Avenue and conduct the transaction in the backroom. They are permanent and those guys can't just run away after they takes your money.

Be street smart will save you lots of hassles.

Flemington, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

HI,

Arriving May 2 a holiday weekend..Will the newspaper stands be open for business? Also do most restaurants take American $$

Edited: 24 April 2014, 12:35
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Thanks, Charles, for the helpful information. I will definitely check them out.

Would you exchange $500-1000 at a time?

I think I'd prefer to exchange more as the dollar seems to be weakening and the fewer times I exchange, there's less of a risk of security issues.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 15:22
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Personally, I would not exchange large amounts of money on Florida. i have exchanged smaller amounts at the news stand at the corner of Lavalle and Florida pedestrian streets several times without incident but for larger amounts I would recommend asking someone at the hotel where you are staying or your landlord if you are in an apartment for a suggestion. Also, check ambito.com for the latest exchange rates just prior to your exchange.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

Thanks so much Dr Dawggy. Tough decision: fewer exchanges = less risk but getting lots of money at once = high risk.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 17:55
38. Re: costs for visitors in Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 07:15