We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

So, I've read that Retiro is one of the dangerous areas of BA (in terms of crime), and I just noticed that the hotel we've booked is in Retiro on Avenida Santa Fe. Do I need to be concerned when staying in that area? How safe would it be there to walk around there in the evening? Contemplating whether or not I should cancel my hotel booking and stay elsewhere...

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

When people say "Retiro," they are usually talking about the Retiro train/bus station, which is not the safest place. Staying on Av. Santa Fe in Retiro is a whole other story. It is not near the train station and it is lovely. What is the cross street?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

Thanks sylvie2. The crossroad is Esmeralda. How is that area/intersection? Would I feel safe walking there around in the evening?

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

Safer if you are not carrying luggage, as with the subway. If you are carrying luggage, take a taxi to your hotel.

If you are out without your luggage, keep all your stuff on your shoulders with a daypack, and keep your eyes peeled. Do not stop if people try to talk to you or help you if something is dumped on you.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

Santa Fe and Esmeralda is a really nice area. You will feel very comfortable walking around in the evening.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
952 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

We stayed in that area, with a group that included a lot of women. No one mentioned feeling unsafe, certainly I did not. It is a nice area and very convenient. Be sure to check out the area around Arroyo, Suipacha and Basabilbaso, lots of nice galleries and a couple of good bars and cafes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

Thanks everyone for your input. It's good to know that the area around our hotel is ok. We will be taking a taxi from EZE directly to the hotel, hence, won't be walking around the area with suitcases or big bags and we will for sure avoid the area around the train station. :)

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

Your will be very close to the new Alvear Art Hotel.

Their restaurant, Contraluz, is perfect for an excellent, affordable lunch during working days, or a very enjoyable upscale dinner.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
952 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

I second the Contraluz at the Alvear Art Hotel! The cold buffet lunch especially... yum, and a great change from carne!

Ontario
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

I will "third" the recommendation for Contraluz, although there are many lovely restaurants in the area. As a somewhat recent acquaintance said, Buenos Aires is 'on sale'! Great food. Great wine. Lovely city. Enjoy!

We stayed in an apartment on the border between Recoleta and Retiro and found it to be a very handy location. We never felt uncomfortable. (and yes, we weren't near the train station)

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe/unsafe is Retiro?

My perception is that Retiro is not as safe as Recoleta and Palermo, but it’s still a lovely area, specially the very corner where you are staying. You are a few meters away from Plaza San Martin, which is very beautiful but not as safe as it used to be, so my recommendation would be not to walk through the plaza at night and be alert, as in the area surrounding the 9 de Julio Avenue pickpockets are very common. Just take the usual precautions and you’ll be fine and enjoy an amazing city.

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy