We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Llana the teacher

Callaway, Minnesota
Level Contributor
118 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Llana the teacher

Jim here from Minnesota and just spent 5 weeks in Argentina and had a fantastic time. I was in BA for a month and spent a week Nordic skiing in Ushuaia (and this is a town name I still have to say a few times to try and get right). There was a nice write up in La Nacion about my experience in Friday's, the 21st of July issue.

At any rate, I had contacted Llana, and this was based on comments and feedbacks in this forum, for possible Spanish lessons. We connected and Llana was fantastic and I was perhaps the worst Spanish student she has ever had. My mind is always going in too many directions and I ask too many questions, but Llana was a total delight and I did learn from her and her depth of learning about customs and the culture was super. I do not think I will every become a great Spanish speaker, but I can get by, and Llana was a true help. It took me a week to understand the Sandwich de miga concept, add on tostada and I was there.

I would urge anybody coming to BA to contact Ilana, she is truly an Argentine treasure.

Thanks Llana

Jim from Minnesota

www.maplelag.com

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Llana the teacher

Hail to our great local LOCAL EXPERT!!!!!!!

Paris
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Llana the teacher

I like to read llana's posts! I have not met her in person, but I look forward to doing so. I'm not a good student either, and I don't have a particular interest in learning Spanish, but I do enjoy meeting people from the places I visit. Thanks for your post.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Llana the teacher

Thanks Jim!! for the nice comments. It was really nice to meet you, and I'm glad I was of help!! Cheers!

Chicago
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Llana the teacher

Jim:

thanks for your post!! I've spoken to llana a few times on the phone and she sounds like a great person. Thanks for confirming this. I'm looking forward to meeting her soon.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
195 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Llana the teacher

Llana, how do we contact you? (if it would violate the TA rule against self-promotion, maybe someone else can post it?)

My husband (Mr. Bastetvieve) and I will be in the market for a Spanish tutor to supplement our Lenguas Vivas studies. We will arrive in BsAs on October 30 and can't wait to get started.

(if we return to the US after six months in BsAs and cannot speak spanish with reasonable proficiency, we will be branded idiots by everyone we know).

My brother is marrying into a spanish speaking family next July. The wedding will be our ultimate final exam.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Llana the teacher

bastevieve: if you want you can post your email, and I will get in touch with you shortly!!

Alternatively, you can ask candence, av., jim (mapleag), etc. for my e-mail!

See you!!

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Llana the teacher

Baste,

I could offer a suggestion for a wedding toast that llana could help you translate into Spanish and that would most certainly get the attention of your new Spanish speaking relations-in-law.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Llana the teacher

Bastetvieve, I would be pleased to give you Ilana's e-mail, but I have two problems:

1) I don't have your e-mail

2) As Ilana has not responded to the mails I have sent lately to the address she gave me, I imagine it probably does not work any more.

Auckland
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Llana the teacher

Bastevieve

Excellent choice, I studied at Lenguas Vivas and used Llana to supplement my lessons. I think after 6 months in BA , you will be at a level that will impress the new members of your family.

Norway
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Llana the teacher

Thanks for the post Jim. It sounds like you had a great trip, and you were lucky enough to meet llana, our great LE!! I'd also like to thank her (and santi, as well as a few others), for all their constant help here.