We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Already Crying for Argentina :(

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Already Crying for Argentina :(

All good things, as they say, and all good times, must come to an end. Today we leave Buenos Aires after our yearly visit; we enjoyed 3 wonderful months here, including 10 days in Uruguay.

There were many repeat visits to favorite museums, lovely parks, restaurants (La Josefina and the Palacio Duhau were at the top of our fulsome list that includes the Bella Italias, El Sanjuanino, Fervor, Don Julio - and that wonderful Bloody Mary with chips and shrimp appetizer in the Alvear Hotel lounge (still thinking of you, Scarlett), Rodi Bar, Cumana and a multitude of small cafes. PLUS La Huella, La Susana and La Pava in UY...I think they'll have to roll us onto the plane, but at least we won't have to eat again until next year, LOL.

As we tend to do, we went with visiting friends to a Tango Show; though DH swears 'no more Tango.' This time we went to Piazzolla Tango in the Galleria Guemes off of Ave. Florida. The music, which was the reason for this choice, was very good and quite interesting = Piazzolla music, all the way. The Tango dancers were excellent; the female singer was really good, the male singer was fine. B U T : because of the timing of our friends' day, we could not work in lunch or dinner somewhere else. So, after my many posts not to have Cena at a Tango show...we had Cena at the Tango Show. And it was worse than awful. The wine was undrinkable, and the food was terrible. The desert was just adequate, not good. Avoid the meal, enjoy the show.

Another fun adventure was taking the bus to Costanera to walk along the rambla, passing the fishermen/women and finding a wonderful stand for Street Food (Churipan)...so atmospheric, albeit just across from the AEP airport,...and we visited the Marina, and the Club Pescadores.

DH has become even more adept at getting us around town on the Collectivos - and I can find my way blindfolded walking around Palermo Botanico and La Recoleta. We spent time in Las Canitas, Belgrano and other barrios.

We had a wonderful dinner at the home of dear friends in Pilar; beautiful garden delicious home Parilla with salads and excellent conversation.

Our time in Uruguay included a visit with close friends in Punta del Este. We rented a car and had a week-long stay up the Coast....all the way to Punta del Diablo with a day visit into Brazil, at Chuy (Uruguay is on one side of the spacious avenue, while Brazil is on the other). If you want to buy a dishwasher, or a stove, Chuy is the place to go. Otherwise, shopping was limited to one T Shirt for a grandson who is a Brazil Team Fan.

Our list for next year's visit, assuming good health and good economy, has begun. How else can we leave without a heavy heart ? The autumn weather here is crisp, sunny and absolutely beautiful....in WDC - well, it snowed again this week !

Until next year :-)

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

Thanks Marnie for sharing all your lovely adventures in Buenos Aires. I have enjoyed all of them. Safe travel home and Hasta Luego until we meet again.

Chau y Muchas Suerte!!!

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

"A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” (Tim Cahill).

Bon voyage, Marnie, and may spring come soon to WDC!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

Your love of BA and UY shines through. Thrilled for you both that it was another grand respite.

Welcome back to reality..........and hopefully we'll overlap next year.

Can't wait.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

Thank you Rick, Vero and Moreweird.

I am sitting in my WDC living room, watching snow fall - and it's March 25th ! Judging from our garden, there was a lot of snow and Ice damage to the flora in this area....and most trees and grass are still brown....now turning white :(

We are already counting the days to our return to BsAs....fortunately, this year we will likely be back in December, so, still 2014.....gives one hope as we trudge through this wintry mix.

Wishing you all a lovely autumn and an easy winter.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

Hi Marnie,

You'll just have to move there or somewhere warmer if and when that time comes.

I'd love to ask you what you did or saw in your glorious 3 months in BA this visit that you liked most or touched your soul the most.

What was your favourite new or past restaurant this time?

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

My soul, my soul....touched most by my friends. Then, the parks and the music and the side trips and the wine and the.........what can I say ? La Josefina has become our favorite, neighborhood haunt. As for the rest, it's above, or best to ask me again in 2 months time.

So, Sockhopper, when will you and your DH be returning ? We'll be back in December, so at least we can say later this same year :0

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

Oh, Marnie. I love all of your reports about your Argentina adventures. I know how you feel, I have that longing every time we return home. I haven't been since 2012 and I'm kind of dying. Looking forward to your next awesome trip story.

virginia
Level Contributor
642 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

Hi Marnie: Would you please tell me if you rented an apt in BA. and what website did you use. Thinking of visiting Jan. 2015. How does the payment work over the internet. Is there a lot to see in Uruguay in 10 days. Thanks for any help. Eleana

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

Eleana:

We have rented several apartments in BsAs. We have had excellent service and very good apartments from:

REYNOLDS PROPRIEDADES: www.reynoldspropiedades.com

and

BA HABITAT: www.buenosaireshabitat.com

Friends and relatives have done pretty well with owner rentals, like VRBO and others. With all of them, the photos and descriptions tell only the beginning of the story - it is good to ask questions of the rentors, such as the noise level of the apt. and the exact location.

Payment depends upon the Agency or the Landlord, but not unusual is a deposit over the internet with CC, and then payment in Cash upon arrival.

Once you have narrowed to some choices, you could then refer to this Board for reaction and suggestions.

We love Uruguay, but I think 10 days in Uruguay would depend on the number of days you have to spend in Argentina (such a huge and varied country).

Check out the Uruguay Forum on TA for ideas.

Have fun in the planning.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Already Crying for Argentina :(

And THANK YOU, joyjoy. I have enjoyed and benefited from so many of your earlier posts.

When will your 'next awesome trip' be ? I look forward to your descriptions and ideas.