We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare now or wait?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare now or wait?

Attention Experienced US Travelers!! I am currently researching air tickets on American for February travel from Seattle to BsAs. Yes, I know it's 10 months away but I am a bigtime planner :) Wow!! Expensive to fly to South America!! Any chance these prices go down or do they just keep slowly going up?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare now or wait?

They will change continuously depending on supply and demand. If you want to get the best airfares then keep checking during the week since some portion of the fare depends on the hub flight connection. The fares will firm up as you reach the 90 day mark before departure and again depending on supply and demand.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
758 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare now or wait?

DO keep checking, but you will probably find that the best fares come up at the 5-6 month mark.

I have also been greedy some years and ended up paying $200 more /pp. over the fare I let go by.

In the end........it's all a crapshoot!

Cheers.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare now or wait?

Thanks to you both! Morewierd - you say that you see rates are best around the 5/6 month mark. This makes me nervous but I'd be willing to chill until August before I purchase if this is based on your experiences. Have you traveled to Argentina on more than one occasion?

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare now or wait?

LOL. after searching, I realize that you have been here MANY times :)

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare now or wait?

Buying a non refundable ticket almost a year in advance doesn't seem like a good idea. The way inflation is going in Buenos Aires, who knows what a hotel room that costs US$100.00 today will cost next February; US$200.00 or on the other hand US$50.00? Maybe buying an airline ticket to Norway or Switzerland might be worth a gamble, Argentina? What about social and health situations?

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare now or wait?

X - I don't understand your points. It sounds like you are attempting to warn me away from BsAs? Whose social and health situations are you speaking of? This post is confusing to me. Sorry. And I have no desire to go to your recommended destinations :)

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare now or wait?

We got our tickets already, and hotel reservations done - just need to wait till September and finalize buses, charters and excursions.

My understanding is that Argentinian economy is very volatile at this moment, and as X says, prices might skyrocket or drop dead - well not really, but the main concern is regarding expenses while there.

The flight tickets price, will be affected my demand and fuel prices mostly...and if you wait too long you might not get a seat on the day you want or the schedule that is convenient for your plans. I know that you know that.

It will be our first time flying to south America too, but well, what life brings along we will have to deal with - that's why there is travel insurance, and I strongly advice to buy it.

In 2010 we went to Tanzania, and bought the tickets nine months in advance - because I waited a bit too long, the tickets were $250pp more...

Is that the same for AR or Chile? I don't know, but can't afford to be flexible with the days to travel back and forth.

Mid November till February at least it's busy season - if you need flights and reservations during that time, you better getting them sooner than later, in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare now or wait?

Due to the last devaluation and the 35% tax on all expenses abroad, there are about 50% less Argentinians traveling (or intending to travel) out of the country.

Until last summer, planes to / from the US were packed with locals taking the kids to Orlando and doing tons of shopping in the US.

This has drastically decreased already. Hard on locals, but difficult to imagine any other scenario than tourists being able to get quite good value for their U$S in Argentina ... and much more availability on flights to / from Argentina.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare now or wait?

verobaires:Thanks for the feedback/imput...and sorry to hear that. I am sure the impact is more than not being able to travel

and I thnk X was just saying that in a different way - pretty sure he is not trying to send people to Norway.

Yes, I knew I was taking a risk buying too early, as big drop in prices, and that a last minute health issue or family event would/can potentially shatter my plans, but again, for me it was essential to plan ahead, and secure reservations, as we have a tight scheduled for all we want to do and see, and had to secure my vacation time at work too.

If one is not travelling thru Orlando, and is using an US air carrier to get to Argentina, I am not sure if the ticket price will be affected.

ITOH, local flights and local reservations can go either way; for once prices might drop as there are not enough local demand, but could be the opposite, as more people will stay locally and travel inside their country instead of abroad

Edited: 09 May 2014, 14:48
Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare now or wait?

Thanks Phil! I appreciate another traveler who likes to plan ahead and make sure that they get what they want. I normally plan for most trips between 8 and 6 months in advance. This time I feel a pressure to get organized a bit earlier than that since we are traveling to BsAs and Uruguay during their summer. As for the prices in Argentina and their economy, I am not worried about this for me. I am sorry and empathetic though that the people of the country have to live with it. I am going to BsAs because I want to see the city and have an experience. I might not be a normal traveler (worried about how much a dinner will cost if I go in September vs. February) since the value of their pesos has no impact on whether I visit there or not. I am happy to go and help support their economy through tourism. Whatever the cost ;-) I can't wait to arrive!!

Mentioned in this post
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Argentina
Argentina
South America