We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area would be best for us to stay in?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,610 posts
437 reviews
Save Topic
What area would be best for us to stay in?

Just a quick passing through trip for us in BA for 2 nights. Bit overwhelmed on where we want to stay for our family. We want a clean safe area to stay with eating places nearby. Not interested in nightlife or bars. Not luxury or too expensive but mid range hotel. We will be doing a day tour of BA (any recommendations for that appreciated too)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

You could try Palermo. Lots of choice of restaurants.

Under the Hotels tab, above, you can view by popularity, price, area, value, etc. That should help narrow down your choices.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

Have a look at www.expedia.com or www.hotels.com. The neighborhood of Recoleta is a good choice for a first time visitor to Buenos Aires. It has a good central location for sightseeing, excellent restaurants and other services which you will enjoy.

The area is quite safe and nice for evening strolls.

Some hotels in the midrange which you might like are: Howard Johnson Boutique Recoleta, Intersur Recoleta, Etoile, BelAir, LoiSuites Recoleta, Urban Suites, Buenos Aires Grand Hotel

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

Palermo Soho, Botanico, Recoleta. Palermo Hollywood is great for nightlife and restaurants but has less busses inside the neighborhood but a lot of new construction with relatively good prices depends what...

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,033 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

It is a huge city, nightlife, restaurants and bars are in every neighborhood.

You want to be in a well located neighborhood for sightseeing, in only 2 nights, you would want to be in the heart of sightseeing. Recoleta would be my choice.

You can walk/take a taxi to other areas but in 2 days, you aren't going to see much.

The museums and parks and main attractions are in Recoleta and Palermo which you can walk to .. hope you are in good walking shape .. BA is huge ... h u g e :) So this will be a tiny taste for you, so you can come back and stay for weeks and really see Buenos Aires.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,610 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

I love these forums. Thank you all for helping and your advice. Booked in Recoleta. We are a very active outdoor family Scarlett who walk, run, bike every day so lots of walking is great for us!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,033 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

Great ! There are bike rentals and there are good bike paths in the parks where the Belle Artes Museum is in Recoleta .. you can't miss it.

Have a great time .

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

Recoleta is an excellent choice since you are an active outdoor family. You can walk though the parks on Libertados and Figueroa Alcorta Avenues, visit the Japanese gardens and Bosques de Palermo. As Scarlet stated you can rent bikes or you can just walk to the many museums you’ll find in the area. While I’m in BA (and always stay at Recoleta) I walk everywhere, no matter how tired I am, as I love the neighborhood so much! Don’t miss the cemetery, is the perfect place for taking good photos!

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

I will add 1 more vote for Recoleta. My hotel choices are the Hotel Carlton and Hotel Impala, both on Libertad the Hotel Embajador on Carlos Pelligrini (9 de Julio) and the Hotel Belair on Arenales. Booking.com's rates and descriptions of hotels are most often the best. Many BA hotel rates add a 21% tax. Ouch!

For a 2 day stay I think that 1 day should be spent taking an "on and off" sightseeing bus. The other day might be spent visiting the Malba Museum (never on Tuesday and the residential area behind the museum), San Telmo - Puerto Madero or returning to places that you visited on the sightseeing bus tour, that were of special interest.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,033 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

I agree, the sightseeing bus would be a great thing to do as soon as you arrive .. you can sit and relax and get an overall look at the city/neighborhoods ..

Edited: 01 September 2014, 14:19
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What area would be best for us to stay in?

Puerto Madero is a lovely area as well . There are many restaurants along the waterfront and a large ecological preserve to hike through...probably the safest area in BsAs.