We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires for 6 months

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Buenos Aires for 6 months

We are coming from Boston to Buenos Aires via Lima in October. We are coming for 5-6 months renting an apt. and only booked Boston to Lima…has anyone ever asked to see your ticket out of the country? We don't want to constrain ourselves by booking a return flight as we may want to go to Panama or back to Peru…and, they are not booking that far in advance yet..April/May 2015.

Please advise.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

The only people who will ask for your return ticket is the airlines since they are responsible for you if you are refused entry into the country.

You can book a fully refundable return ticket to show to the airlines if you are concerned. When you arrive in South America then just cancel it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

thank you RicardoBA Can't wait to visit.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

Something else that has worked for me in the past is to buy on line a Buquebus ferry ticket, from BA to Colonia, Uruguay, for travel within three months of my arrival date in BA. You will probably want to go to Colonia, anyway, and if you buy a "flexible" or first class ticket, you can change the date of travel without penalty. Buquebus sells tickets only about three months in advance of travel date, so you would have to wait until closer to October to buy the ticket.

Don't risk trying to check in with your airline without some ticket showing you will leave Argentina within three months of arrival. Airline agents sometimes (but by no means always) overlooked the requirement in past years, but it's possible that with all the automated check-ins these days the airlines now manage to flag passengers who don't have round trip tickets, and have the agents intervene to ask questions. If they aren't doing it, yet, they probably will down the road, as it is so easy to do.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

How does one stay in Argentina beyond the 3 months permitted by his tourist visa without paying a fine eg. if the OP were to just stay in his BA rental for its entire 6 months which perhaps he might?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

Visitors(USA) who plan on staying more than the allotted 3 months can renew their tourist visas by exiting the country before 3 months then reentering again. A daytrip to Uruguay on the ferry would suffice or crossing the border into Chile or Brazil, etc. The reciprocity fee for USA passport holders is good for 10 years for multiple entries.

If you don't exit the country within that 3 month period then you must pay the fine for overstaying your visa.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,848 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

ricardo, you reminded me that I am a permanent resident and don't have to pay anything and there is no limit to my time spent in BA .. right ?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

Thank you Ricardo....and Punta,

Is there any time limit on how long a foreign tourist can be away from Argentina (after exiting Argentina just before his Arg entry stamp expires) and STILL be able to get a renewal of that entry stamp when he returns to, ie. re-enters, Argentina. I'm thinking of someone who goes to Brazil for a week or two in the middle of his 6 month BA rental and how he could gain admittance to Argentina again so as to continue staying in his BA rental if he'd stayed away too long for his entry stamp to be renewed.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

Scarlett,

You should check with your lawyer to confirm how long you can be OUTSIDE of Argentina and retain your permanent residency. I've heard various things -- from one year to three to forever. But I do think there is a requirement that you are physically in Argentina once every xx years. A good reason to come back.

To answer your question… with your DNI, you don't have to pay anything and you can stay as long as you like.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

Sockhopper,

A tourist can go away for a week or a year and come back… it doesn't matter. The new entry stamp isn't a renewal; it is a new entry. The only time it may not work is for "permatourists," who live in Buenos Aires and repeatedly go to Uruguay every three months. In those cases, there is a risk of getting stamped "Final entry." That has been happening more often these days.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buenos Aires for 6 months

Hi Sockhopper, My respsonse was for USA passport holders. I am not sure about Canadians and Australians.

Sylvie's response is right on.