We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash to bring?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much cash to bring?

We will be there for 8 days. How much US dollars should I bring? Only planning to do one splurge dinner that may cost $160 US, all other meals we will try to be more frugal. Probably will not to do too much night time partying. And not many paid attractions. Thank you for any input

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much cash to bring?

Do you mean without considering lodging? If so, and if you change your Dollars on the blue market, you can get by with U$S1000.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How much cash to bring?

Yes, not including lodging. Only day to day expenses

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How much cash to bring?

I am also definitely going to try to exchange on the blue rate

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much cash to bring?

I suggest that you draw up a daily budget by researching this forum for this and last year's costs of everything starting with the basic funds needed for accommodation, transport to/from EZE, and meals out versus, say, a packed lunch taken to any of BA's gorgeous parks some day(s) if your trip is planned no earlier than the 3rd week of October when it starts to feel like spring there.

Because you’ll be there for 8 days, a temporary apartment rental would save you money and additionally mean that you can buy and eat at ‘home’ freshly made, high quality hot dishes with pasta, fish or meat sold by weight. Those dishes are inexpensive and apartments are equipped with table ware. So you can save on meals there in winter too when picnicking in a park would be too cold.

Next, add transport costs within BA - buses and taxis.

Doing this requires that you first draw up an itinerary which doesn't need to be exact but which gives you a vision of how you’ll personally spread the costs of activities and sites each day on such things as museums, tours, entertainment, stops for refreshments versus days concentrated on just walking and discovering things there which will cost you very little. There are also a lot of free things to do in BA.

Then you can decide where that splurge meal will best fit into those 8 days to be most appreciated. If you haven’t enough money left for it - which would be odd if you’ve budgeted it - you can splurge on drinks and snacks at some amazing venues that have a bar as well as a dining area. Also, it’s perfectly acceptable to share dishes in many moderately priced places there provided each person buys one.

Leave a tiny daily component for unexpected incidentals or emergencies such as drugstore items or a taxi home late at night from across the city, say, if you’ve not got used to buses there yet which is likely. Finally, see what you have left if anything for shopping if that’s a factor for you.

BA isn't a city where one has to opt for luxury prices so as to have a great and memorable luxurious week there, that’s for sure! Juggling around what you do and when will maximize for you BA’s huge variety of choices at each price level. In order to know how much money you will personally need to bring, you first need to identify what you want to do there and priorize these things, and proceed from there. That’s where doing some good research really pays off in terms of aiming for ‘overall frugal with top-notch enjoyable’.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How much cash to bring?

Thanks, mostly we will not be spending much on activities. The most would be a tour of teatro, since there will be no performances while we r there. We will arriving late September. We have already rented an apartment with kitchen. Most meals will dinner. And planning to do a lot of walking. Main sights are recolota cemetery, the various Palermo parks. Puerto madero and feria materderos. Other than that will just play it by ear and enjoy city life with the locals.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much cash to bring?

That sounds relaxing. Have a great time! I don't know what "Most meals will dinner" means.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much cash to bring?

Sorry, I just read my previous post and there are a lot of typos. I meant to say most of the meals eaten out will be dinner. Thanks and can't wait till September!

st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much cash to bring?

DH and I are here now for our eight day stay in an apt. we got through Tripadvisors Flipkey rental service. Well equipped and in the Palermo Soho area. We haven't done a lot of exploring, mostly shopping and have found dining out to be quite inexpensive. There are some restaurants that charge a cover charge so we are still confused as to whether or not this is part of the server's tip; other more casual cafes do not charge this and we have been thanked profusely for tipping in USD but paying the bill in pesos. $1,000USD is more than enough, for us anyway. Same thing with a lot of the smaller boutiques, better pricing using USD versus pesos or credit card. Very helpful shopkeepers, friendly people overall. Went to the Serrano Plaza open air market today, good deals in USD but they seem to expect you to ask for a better price. My experience only, can't speak for others but an enjoyable experience.

Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much cash to bring?

I realy cannot se any reason for eating a picknick in a park in BA,that is from a economy point of view,unless your on a realy tight budget,which you are not,doing it for the pleasure of it,thats another thing!. 50 US pp,makes abouth 600 ARS PP,not including realy splurgy things,thats plenty,a nice lunch is between 100-150 PP,and can be rather less.A normal,but pleasant dinner is a bit more,taxis are realy cheap.Tango shows can be ludicrously expensive,compared to anything else though. I have been to BA numerous times,have always had a kitchen,have newer used it for anyhing more than coffe!,its not a great saving,I once bought delli food for heating in the micro,came to abouth the same as a decent meal at a local place in Recoleta.

Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much cash to bring?

350 per pax for normal decent restaurant meals,150 for coffe breaks and transport,a lot of it taxis,should do it.And I like coffe breaks!Could be less if you look for cheap places,though,and it does not include a giant US breakfast!

Edited: 28 July 2014, 21:03