We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Flight Option in BA- LAN or Aerolineas Argentina

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which Flight Option in BA- LAN or Aerolineas Argentina

So I'm planning my itinerary for a South America trip, and part of the itinerary consists of flying from Santiago to Buenos Aires (Jorge Newbury Airport (AEP)), and then flying down (from AEP) to El Calafate. (And then eventually flying back to Buenos Aires and spending time in the Buenos Aires.) I have two options.

Option 1 is with LAN, flying from Santiago to AEP in the evening, arriving at AEP around 10:30PM, then flying out of AEP to El Calafate the next morning at 5:15AM. If I do this, I'm assuming I'll just have to sleep at the airport for a few hours. With this itinerary, I get to return to Buenos Aires with LAN a few days later

Option 2 is with Aerolineas Argentina, flying from Santiago to AEP in the morning, then waiting a few hours for a connecting flight with Aerolineas to El Calafate in the afternoon (either at 12:30 or 2:15). An alternative is to fly out of Santiago with Aerolineas the evening before and grab a hotel room near AEP. With this itinerary, I get to return to Buenos Aires with Aerolineas a few days later.

With both these itineraries, I hope to use a Argentina/South America pass for lower prices on the flights.

So my question is- which airline/itinerary would you go with? I don't really want to have to sleep at an airport for a few hours (because I know I won't sleep much), but would that be OK? Is it possible to sleep at AEP for a few hours? (At least I'd save on the hotel room.) Aerolineas has a much better schedule, as I could just sleep in Santiago that evening and fly out the next morning, or fly into AEP that evening, grab a hotel near AEP, then head back to the airport in the late morning for the early afternoon flight. However, I've been reading (the unfavorable) reviews about the Aerolineas experience, so I'm wary of going with them.

Any opinions/input would be great. Please let me know. Thanks.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 06:48
Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
buenos aires
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Flight Option in BA- LAN or Aerolineas Argentina

IMHO both airlines are OK. Many posters of this forum have negative opinions of Aerolineas Argentinas, and probably won't recommend it. I had positive and negative experiences with both airlines in the past (canceling and delaying flights) but it's something that doesn't happen very often.

Now, regarding your options, IMHO I'd take option 2: flying in the morning and waiting a few hours at the airport. It's a lot better than sleeping a few hours and not enjoying the following day.

Good luck!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Flight Option in BA- LAN or Aerolineas Argentina

I agree with Maru. The domestic flights on A Arg. have improved somewhat (we have had decent experiences of late) and both airlines are somewhat lacking in dependability. I would prefer to avoid both of them for long haul, overseas flights, but you have a good chance for a positive experience, as Maru suggests, with your Plan # 2.

As my friend, Moreweird, says, ' it's something of a crap shoot.' Go with the plan that at least offers the likelihood of a more comfortable flight plan.

Enjoy your trip, RS3Sport.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 14:33
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Flight Option in BA- LAN or Aerolineas Argentina

I've flown with both in 2010 and this year and aerolinas had definitely improved in that time.

I have also spent 7 hours sitting on the floor in both airports. I recommend a hotel. They are cheap as chips and plenty near the airport.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Flight Option in BA- LAN or Aerolineas Argentina

Thanks all for your help. The problem I still have is the cost of these flights. It's SO EXPENSIVE. I called Aerolineas today to possibly get a South America Pass, but they said it would not be valid on the flights I want on the days I want to fly. (The seats at a cheap South America Pass rate is already sold out.) I'm going to try with LAN tomorrow and see if I can get a pass with them. If I can, I'm just going to go with them, even if that means a night at the airport.

5. Re: Which Flight Option in BA- LAN or Aerolineas Argentina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17