We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay in BA?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What area to stay in BA?

We are going to BA for the first time and would appreciate some advice on what area of the city to stay in. We are a married couple in our mid 20's and would like an area that is accessible via metro to touristy things we'd like to do during the day, but is in an area that locals frequent for restaurants and bars. We don't want to be in a super noisy area or next to some disco that is open until 5 am. Any hotel suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay in BA?

I would suggest you consider the areas of Recoleta and Palermo. Both will have various options that match your requirements. I would probably go for Palermo as your first choice.

What dates will you be travelling?

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay in BA?

BA is huge, divided into 49 neighborhoods; ALL of them have many bars and restaurants where locals go.

The subway, while relatively extensive, can't get close to everything. Forget about tying yourself to the subway lines, as many things you'll want to see are far, far from subways and taxis are cheap and even more plentiful than in NYC. There's also a great bus system that does get close to everything. And finally, BA is a walking city, in which locals and many visitors prefer to hoof it for miles.

BA is perhaps the noisiest city in the world, and runs even later than NYC, so resign yourself to noise almost no matter where you stay.

The neighborhoods to which most visitors gravitate for hotels are Recoleta (or, more generally, "Barrio Norte," although that's not a recognized neighborhood), Palermo (with its many variations -- Chico, Alto, Viejo, SoHo, Hollywood, maybe more), Retiro, San Telmo ,and Puerto Madero. Recoleta is the BA version of upper Manhattan, more East than West. Retiro is where many of the "big" hotels and business hotels are located, and is close to the financial center. Puerto Madero is newly developed, somewhat avant-garde, expensive and (very important) completely isolated from the rest of the city by bridges and distance. San Telmo is part of the older, more "Spanish" part of the city, and is experiencing a rebirth right now. Some parts of Palermo are established, tending toward Recoleta-ish, but others (the ones you'll hear more about) are young and trendy, with many of the newer restaurants.

If you're going to be here for a week or more, consider renting an apartment. There are many choices on the web, they are cheaper than good hotels, and most are newly refurbished/redecorated.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay in BA?

Good point about the noise. The traffic noise is brutal. Lots of people on the street at times late too. It can be pretty loud. Bring a box of those foam earplugs. They work great. You squish them into the shape of a golf tee...stick it into your ear. It expands and voila..no noise..I mean no noise. Not a good choice the night before you are to catch an early morning flight because you will not hear your phone or travel alarm..but you get a good nights sleep.

There is a great guide book..the Guia T which has all the bus routes. I doubt you can get it outside of Argentina. It takes a bit of studying and it is in spanish but once you get a sense for it ...it makes sense. Several of the locals here swear by the buses and for good reason....cheap and the city is crisscrossed with bus lines. Of course they can get crowded at times...and the exhaust is a bit much......but....could be fun.

The taxis are very cheap..though of course they can add up if you are all over the place. Plan you day accordingly. And the city is great for walking. Just get a good map. There are few that fold easily in your pocket...good luck

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay in BA?

Great pointer about the Guia T. Available in any news kiosk (which are found in almost every block of the city) in two sizes, the smaller pocket size for about 3 pesos. Even if you're not taking the buses, it's worth having this guide because it gives you the numbers for every block in the city -- so you can easily find where a restaurant or museum is located even if you have only its address.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay in BA?

Noise will depend on where your place is located.... its one thing if you have an apartment that faces the street, another if it faces the internal side of the block (in Buenos Aires this is called contra-frente). Also, if you are on a higher floor the noise is relative.

Yes, Buenos Aires is noisy but dont get too carried away with worries about not being able to sleep.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area to stay in BA?

We stayed in Palermo and split our time between BoBo and Home Hotel. I HIGHLY recommend BoBo. I also saw a new boutique hotel called The Cocker that looked really nice, but it's in San Telmo, which I hear can get a little sketchy at night. I think Palermo is a really great area to stay because the restaurants/bars are a little trendier than Recoleta, but Recoleta is slightly closer to more touristy attractions. Recoleta is very UES and Palermo is more like LES.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
497 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area to stay in BA?

It must be having moved here from New York City. Buenos Aires seems so quiet by comparison that sometimes I forget I'm in a large city!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What area to stay in BA?

I suggest San Telmo / Palermo or Recoleta. if it's your first time, then Recoleta is nice and close to museums and interesting sights, as well as shops, rest. etc.

Buenos Aires
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What area to stay in BA?

I would recommend checking out www.stayinbuenosaires.com for apartment searching purposes. Their website is super easy to use with great pictures and you can set it up while abroad.

As far as neighborhoods are concerned... I would check out Recoleta, Palermo, San Telmo.... Recoleta and Palermo are in the richer area of the city but San Telmo has a lot of character.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What area to stay in BA?

Hello Gaspar. Just to clarify, do you own, work for or are you related with www.stayinbuenosaires.com? If not, have you used their services? I wander about that because this one seems to be your first post and you seem to be based in B.A.

Thanks in advance for your reply.