We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

Arrived back in BA this morning after a 20 hr. bus ride from Salta that began with a most adventurous departure (another novel--err post--on my 2nd trip with Angie to follow shortly!)

After fortifying myself with a REAL doble cortado at the bus station, took a remis (as recommended ad nauseum by Av, DD, Ilana, etc.) from Retiro to Barrio Norte for $20 Arg. Probably more than hailing a cab from the corner, but worth the extra whopping $5 Arg it probably cost me just for the security of having a "receipt" for my taxi. Got to my apartment about an hr. before arranged meeting time with agent from BYTArgentina and owner of the apartment. Fortunately the ¨super¨ was there, knew I was coming, and allowed me to leave my bags while I went in search of the 2nd cortado of the morning. And what should appear on both corners of my street but a hardware store and an internet site! And next door to the internet site, a pet store! I felt like I´d died and gone to heaven! Had my 2nd cortado at a lovely little cafe called Keller, where the waiter directed me to the nearest ATM and explained a new word from the sports section of La Nacion..."crack"--evidently means a fabulous soccer player (think Pele or Maradona). Headed down French to ATM at corner with Pueyrredon..fuera de servicio. Guard directed me across the street, which gave me time to observe that a Freddo and pasteleria Caryn (recommended by foodie Shaltshaker) were within 5-min. walk from my apartment--barbaro! 2nd cash machine worked, and headed back to apartment, observing numerous peluquerias that offered both manicures and pedicures to check out later. The rep. from BYT and apartment owner had both arrived early and actually went looking for me! So I had a good impression from the start. The studio apartment is everything I wanted....small but airy with lots of natural light and an open terraza to watch the world go by. "Boom Box" works, with radio already programmed to 96.7 FM classical music station. And best of all--modern air conditioner! Both the BYT rep. and the apartment owner were very friendly. The owner made sure to check her deposit, as the last renter had given her a $20 US bill ith silly handwriting all over it (like good luck, use this bill in case of emergency etc.) and the owner thought it was a ´trucho´ ..LOL! Unpacked, took a shower (only 2 minutes+ for the water to get hot....less than my house..haha!) Then in search of food. An excellent restaurant...Sette Bacco...recommended by both Time Out and dear porteño friend Santi....was only a block from my apartment. Had a wonderful meal of mixed greens topped with crab legs followed by risotto al ossobucco washed down with Finca Linda Malbec 2004 (restaurant waitress didn´t blink an eye when I asked to take home remaining risotto & rest of wine--so she got a good tip!)

Now its time to explore neighborhood a little more, buy some staples like milk, and work up an appetite for dinner at Casa Saltshaker!

Excuse typos..this keyboard is a challenge!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

Yay! my Buenos Aires fix has come in.. :O)

I got your message, here I am. I saw a bakery off of Azcuenaga that might have dough for empanadas..I have to check my notes to see if I had the name written down or the address..

Give Dan a hello from us please, tell him we hope to meet him in person, in the not too distant future.

Enviouslym, Scarlett

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
497 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

I'm just serving dry crackers and a shotglass of water and sending them all home, so don't be too envious...

;-)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

LOL. I don't believe it , You can't fool me, I know you all ate and drank yourselves silly :O)

Best regards, still envious, Scarlett :)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
497 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

Hey, they haven't even gotten here yet - we'll see if they ate themselves happy in a few hours!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

Well I´ve finaly managed to waddle out of bed, even fatter than yesterday thanks to an exquisite Thanksgiving-themed dinner at Casa Saltshaker. His substitute for ye olde Campbell´s green bean casserole was the hit of the evening. And no drinking ourselves silly so I even managed to walk home afterwards!

Thanks again to Salty. Wonderful dinner, great mix of guests.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

Debra, You are obviously enjoying yourself entirely too much. Keep up the good work.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

LOL ditto, dr dawggy :)

What next Deb?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

thanks for the fun post!! as always!! I like reading them!! cheers, and keep enjoying!!!

Callaway, Minnesota
Level Contributor
114 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

Hey DTin

Enjoyed this post and especially so since I think I stayed in this apartment last June and July for 5 weeks. Loved it: super location, wonderful owner and it worked out great for me.

The only negative was it took awhile to get used to the city and street noise. I live in the forest in nature and like they say you only here the wolves and the angles. I think when I come again I would try and get an apartment not facing the street.

There was a wonderful small Chinese grocery across the street and like you mentioned, internet on the corner. And over on block on Laprida was a fantastic Chinese take out place. Very fair prices and the food was super. I love hot and sour soup, and it took about 3 tries before they upped the spice and hotness factor up to what I am used to. In a country where you have to arm wrestle the waiter to get black pepper, a high degree of fire in the food is not on the radar.

And down the street just off of French on Bollini, there was a small parrilla that I loved and perhaps it was one of my most favorite places in BA. Some locals put me on this and the food was great and the prices were more than fair. It is Barbacoa at 2133 Bollini. I think I ate there about 7 times. Be sure and try it if you get the chance.

If you would care to e mail me, I do have a couple of questions about the apartment. It is maplelagjames@hotmail.com. Check our web at www.maplelag.com

We are waiting for snow here and the temps are dropping. Flooding the skating rink the past two days and the temp this afternoon was 5 degrees C and now at close to midnight it is down to minus 8 degrees C so the frost is on the pumpkin. The ice will be good to go this week end. We have a student coming from Brazil to work for the winter on the J 1 visa program and I think she might be in for a little shock when she gets off the plane in Fargo. I spent two years in Tillamook and the rain one winter drove me nuts. I wore my rainsuit at work for 67 days straight. I couldn't wait to get back the cold and snow of the Upper Midwest.

Thanks again for a fun and interesting post.

Jim in Minnesota

Orange County...
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1960 Aguero....Fat, Dumb and Happy

No kidding.. this is fun to read... you Ladies are not only wild, but can write well.. thanks.