We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$30 rooms in BA

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SE Minnesota
6 posts
Save Topic
$30 rooms in BA

I have seen a few different offerings on craigslist and guide books for what seems like nice comfortable rooms for rent with private baths and kitchens for $30US. I do not need $100-200 hotel rooms, for all I want is a clean bed and bath for sleeping, etc. Does anyone know anything about these choices? Is it a reasonable expectation to get a clean safe place in the city at these prices? Thanks

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $30 rooms in BA

There are some well located hotels - -for example the Hotel Chile on Avenida de Mayo for 80 pesos per night -- that many people searching for budget accomodations use. I'm told that the Chile has some older rooms with character (you can see them from the street -- with balconies overlooking the avenue) and some rooms that are just depressing-- but, either way I would not expect wonderful amenities. I do know that they have air conditioning and private baths.

You can get a nice apartment thru many of the agencies for US $200 per week.. and that is what you are probably seeing on Craigslist.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $30 rooms in BA

Hi Granarywoodshops,

karma has basically replied about the apartments. In the past I have looked at the Craig's list offerings and many are actually by rental companies, while some are private individuals. So I guess its a crap-shoot about what you get and how satisfactory they will turn out. . You might want to also check out the actual rental company pages. Bytargentina continually gets good reports and on their web page you can - by using the advanced search feature- zero in on what you want , area, number of rooms etc..

http://www.bytargentina.com/

(There is alot of info on this board about renting apartments and people's personal experiences. (if interested do a search in the searh feature under the green bar)

And if you are staying a month at the apartments rented through the agencies, the cost per night goes down even more.

Another budget hotel which is located in Barrio Norte that runs about 90 pesos per night for a single - taxes and breakfast included is the Juncal Palace.

http://www.juncalpalacehotel.com.ar

Also, if you go to the Lonely Planet Thorntree board, there is a guy who frequently posts a list of budget hotels in Buenos Aires

good luck

raquel

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $30 rooms in BA

I agree with Raquel. The Thorntree board on Lonely Planet has lots of information about inexpensive hotels and rooms. Jorge is the guy she mentions. He is a local who posts very, very regularly under a number of different screen names.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $30 rooms in BA

Juncal will be increasing its rates to 120 peso per night as of Feb 1 according to their website. This area I think is near where I stayed last year. I was at the Recoleta Guesthouse on LaPrida and I have a feeling that the Juncal Palace was close by. I liked the area.

So for $40 bucks I guess it would be ok. The Recoleta raised their rates by 25%. Its now $ 50 a night. I think these places do get a bit greedy.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $30 rooms in BA

I stayed at the Hotel Ushuaia this year. It is on Cordoba near Puerto Madero (a short walk) and the docks for the ferries to Uruguay. This is a very basic Argentine style hotel. Not too much luxury but clean and very secure. It is the military hotel when soldiers and sailors stay when they are in the city on personal business (petty officers and above). It books excess rooms especially during the summer to the public. There is no English spoken so you have to make do with Spanish but once you have a reservation it is pretty straight forward. The rate is about 120 pesos a night and that includes breakfast. Typical Argentine hotel breakfast which is a more robust continental spread. I am not a fussy guy so I am no judge and I let little things slide but it is like a Days Inn or Motel6 in the USA in terms of quality. But that is pretty much the 3 star standard for hotels for Argentines. You are a few blocks from Florida and the subte is also a few blocks away. I was in an 8th floor room with a great open patio with a couple of lawn chairs. Nice view of the water in one direction and the city in the other. They also let you stay in the room until 6 pm on the day of your departure at a half day charge or around 20 bucks assuming the room is available.

SE Minnesota
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: $30 rooms in BA

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! Sorry I am slow to thank you. My wife and I are planning a trip for 2-3 weeks, and just deciding where to stay, what to do. They is a WEALTH of info here! Almost too much! :)

We are hoping to build an Argentine/possibly Uruguay itinerary that includes a few obvious "don't miss" but we are really interested in the jewels that only insiders can provide....thanks again

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $30 rooms in BA

If your trip is 2 to 3 weeks -- you should really consider renting an apartment. IMO, it would much more comfortable over a long stay.

SE Minnesota
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: $30 rooms in BA

We thought of that. We want to b;ow with the wind a little bit, and move around. Part of the "low cost" strategy was to get a place that if we leave for 2-3 days its no big deal on the pocket-book. We might just get an apartment and use it as a base...is that your suggestion? thanks

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $30 rooms in BA

exactly -- that way you don't have to take all of your luggage with you when you leave on shorter trips... PLUS, you have the freedom of having a meal or two at home or at least a glass of cold milk (restaurant food is so cheap, you won't really want to cook, but you might want to sit out on a nice balcony and sip some wine and eat some cheese and jamon serrano).

There are many units available with high speed internet -- and that can come in very handy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $30 rooms in BA

hi there, there is another hotel that is quite basic but in a decent neighbourhood - Barrio Norte. The hotel is Hotel del Prado, and is $75ARS/night. It's no luxury, but it is clean, in a good, dynamic neighbourhood and is quite close to a the subway (Facultad de Medecina stop). - Address - Paraguay 2385 at Larea. Best of luck!