We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Cumbre in August

Ohio
Level Contributor
446 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
La Cumbre in August

My husband and I will be visiting our son in Buenos Aries for about a month this July/August. We plan to take a side trip to the Salta area for a week and then take a sleeper bus to Cordoba for about 4 day in August. We will be renting a car in the area. We would love to explore the city of Cordoba for at least a day and then were thinking of planning a base in the La Cumbre area to explore that area. As this will be winter, will there be snow in the La Cumbre area at that time and also what activities would there be available to do at that time? Would most areas/activities be shut down? Would anyone have any other suggestions for us and also any suggestions for a good quality, friendly, modest priced Inn or B&B in the area? Also, which bus companies have good comfortable sleeping accommodations from Salta to Cordoba and then from Cordoba to Buenos Aires. I would very much appreciate any help that you can give us. thanks.

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La Cumbre in August

We did some research about the La Cumbre area but have not actually visited. I came across many good reviews of this travel agency based in La Cumbre:

www.sendastravel.com

I had some communications with them and I was favorably impressed.

Mary

punta del este...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Cumbre in August

I've done the Salta-Tucuman-Cordoba itinerary for the past few years now, usually in the winter (guess I'm one of those who like travelling in the cold and without a lot of tourists). Have never been disappointed in the Sierras de Cordoba during the off-season: the district is agreeable at all times of the year. La Cumbre is at some 3,500ft so expect a little snow but nothing like what you're used to in Ohio. Not likely to do much swimming there but riding, golf and tennis should be available. Ascochinga and Jesus Maria are known for winter fishing.

I've used Mercobus-Plus Ultra between Salta and Cordoba -- good service -- latest schedule quotes 8:15PM and 10:15PM departures from Salta, arriving Cordoba 7:50AM and 10:20AM; $44 US.

Between Cordoba and Buenos Aires, numerous buses: recently used El Practico which has a deluxe "cama suite" at 10:45PM, arriving BA 7:45AM; $43US. Mercobus and El Turista also ply the route but with slightly less quality buses. In general, I prefer the train between Cordoba and Buenos Aires:a little slower but much more comfortable. Only drawback is that it runs only twice a week but the sleeping car is a mere $50US for two people. I've heard the last few days that both train and bus connections have been cancelled or delayed due to protest highway and railway closures--hope that all clears by August.

In La Cumbre I'd recommend the venerable old Cruz Chica inn: built around 1910, English style (including excellent teas but dated bathrooms).

3. Re: La Cumbre in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 12:18