We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

My husband and I are planning to visit Mendoza wine country next month. We enjoy full bodied red wines. We would very much appreciate any recommendations from our 'tripadvisor travelers' on vineyards that are must VISIT /TASTE. We could also use some additional information on the best wine tours.

Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

Hi, Jhansikirani. As you may know, you generally need a reservation to visit a winery in Mendoza. Each of the ones we went to had a guard house, and the guard checked your name off a clipboard before admitting you. I suppose you could make the reservation yourself, but you would still need to find the place and otherwise transport yourself. So, I think you'd want to go with a driver and/or tour organizer.

We were there a month ago and went on a full day tour with Trout & Wine. Maybe a bit pricey, but excellent! They take you to 4 wineries, one of which includes a swanky tasting lunch. Each winery has a tour component, followed by a tasting. I've toured countless distilleries, wineries and breweries in my time, and really thought I would be bored by the tour part. But each one was a little different, and they made it very fun. And of course the tastings were amazing. All in all, it was simply great. Here's the website:

http://www.troutandwine.com/

Trout & Wine selects the wineries (fine by us, since there would be too many to choose from if we were doing it on our own, not to mention that we'd simply have been guessing as to which ones were good). However, if you are the first to book a tour (they only allow 6 per tour, which was also great) you can request particular wineries if you want. They mix and match all the time.

BTW, since Malbec is the star grape of the region, you can pretty much count on full-bodied reds no matter where you go.

Hope this helps. Have a great time!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

tks. for your valuable feedback. This will help us .

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
83 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

I just returned of a 8 days stay in Mendoza

we did the following schedule:

Valle de Uco

-9.30 hs: Our guide picked us at the hotel.

-11.00 hs: Bodega Salentien con opción de visita a la galeria de arte.(English).

-13.30 hs: Lunch paired with "premiun wines" at La Tupiña en Bodega Altus.

-15.30 hs: Andeluna Cellars

-18.30 hs: Back to the Hotel.

Lujan de Cuyo.

-9.00 hs: Our guide picked us at the hotel

-9.30 hs: Benegas Lynch. .

-11.30 hs: Achaval Ferrer. .

-13.00 hs: Lunch paired with wines at Bodega Ruca Malen.

-15.30 hs: Bodega Catena Zapata.

-17.30 hs: Back to the Hotel

I love also full body wines , my favorites are- Bramare Cobos Malbec, Numia, Merritage,Apassionato,Pulenta State Gran Corte,Cuvee los Andes Gran Malbec, and Catena Zapata Nicolas ( Its a little be expensive but worth , You just find at Catena as this wine is not for local market)

We used Ariel Soza as our guide,I strongly recommend Ariel, he can be reached by his email ,arielsosamza@yahoo.com.ar,

he can make all the wineries reservatiions and for a private tour charges less than the group tours

1884 , Francis Mallmann, is the best restaurant in town( ask for a table in the garden reservation is a must) , go in your first night so you've a chance to repeat

Have fun !!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

Thank you ! Thank you ! Additional info. on restaurant and best wines are greatly appreciated. Hopefully we can bring back some.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

Javier at B&B Plaza Italia offers amazing small winery tours. You do not need to be a guest of the B&B to take advantage of his wine tours.

miami
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

Hi, Just came across your great post. I'm thinking of duplicating your bodegas tour, it looks terrific and it suits our tastes. Would you be so kind as to post costs for driver? Was tipping an additional cost? Cordially, Teresa.

7. Re: Mendoza Wine Country Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 05:17