We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

I will be travelling from Santiago Chile to Mendoza Argentina. I have done a lot of research and several people say to fly but I would prefer to take a bus and see the Andes Mountains. I wanted to do a daytrip to some highlights of the Andes (i.e. Aconagua, etc.) but I've noticed that these tours pick you up from Mendoza and then drive you all the way west back towards Chile. It seems pointless for us to spend 7 hours travelling east only to spend several hours travelling west on a tour. I was wondering if there is any tour that picks you up in Santiago and drops you off in Mendoza. Something that would serve the double purpose of travel and touring at the same time. I've found a company that does this exact tour but in the opposite direction (Mendoza-Santiago) but I would prefer to travel the other way and can't seem to find anything! Is there a reason for that? Is there any thing like what I'm describing that someone can recommend? Thanks!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

It's not clear to me if you want a tour or simply ground transportation between the two cities. If it is the latter, you can very easily arrange this. In March, we took an Andesmar bus from Santiago to Mendoza and it was very easy to purchase the tickets online and select our seats. There was no commentary, but we didn't feel like we needed any. The scenery spoke for itself.

You can also research bus travel between the two cities here on this forum. Just use the search box above.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
283 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

Please be aware that there will be road construction on the highway between Santiago and Mendoza beginning Jan 7, 2013. In fact it has already begun apparently.

This means that the highway is closed to traffic travelling FROM Santiago to Mendoza during the hours of 8 am to 7pm.

Read the message below or check my posting "Highway Construction between Mendoza and Santiago"

Pass Restricted Hours, Mendoza-Santiago Land Highway

Due to highway construction, estimated to last until June 2013, on the Chile switchbacks on the pass from Mendoza to Santiago, the CURRENT plan is, from January 7 /2013 onwards, to stagger the traffic one-way for half the day, and the other way the other half-day.

losandes.com.ar/notas/2012/12/18/nuevos-hora…

As well as adding to the usual border delays, it means the bus schedules would be radically altered. You have to be prepared to change your travel plans and to seek updated advice in the days before travel. The current bus schedules, online or elsewhere, do not yet reflect the necessary changes. Do not expect to get any fully-dependable info for awhile.

The current plan (subject to change) is:

WESTERLY: (Mendoza/Argentina to Santiago/Chile) 8 am to 7 pm (8:00 to 19:00)

EASTERLY: (Santiago/Chile to Mendoza/Argentina) 8 pm to 7 am (20:00 to 7:00)

The Pass is variously referred to as Los Libertadores and Cristo El Redentor.

There are a lot of recent posts on the Pass, but all the advice there is now complicated. Expect passage times to be lengthened from now (construction has started and there have been reports over the last few weeks of 10 hour trips or more between Mendoza and Santiago/Valparaiso).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

Am I glad I read that info'! It makes taking the bus from M to S pointless if the road is closed during the daylight hours.

I'd intended to fly BA to S then bus back over the Andes to M and back to BA. I'll do it in reverse now.

A lot of travellers hoping to cross the Andes from S to M will be disappointed to find they can only cross at night.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
283 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

We certainly were disappointed to discover it, but haven't got much option since we are flying into Santiago and flying out of Buenos Aires. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Saudi
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

When is the best time to make the mendoza to santiago trip?

Monaco
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

Thank you for this information. Have these road works now been completed? If not, is there an expected finish date? I'm planning a trip in late November and early December 2013, and am considering the bus either Mendoza to Santiago or Santiago to Mendoza.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

The road works finished the 1st of June.

Monaco
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

Thanks, that's good to hear!

9. Re: Santiago to Mendoza travel and tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:16