We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking to wineries around Mendoza

Golden, CO
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Biking to wineries around Mendoza

We want to bike on our own (self-tour) to several wineries, but we are a little concerned about biking safety. I saw on a previous post there is a bike path from Maipu---are there others or is this our best bet? This would seem to avoid vehicles whizzing by us. We are staying in central Mendoza but will have a car for most of our stay, so we could drive to a bike rental location. Can anyone recommend bike rental agencies? Do they all provide bike helmets?

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking to wineries around Mendoza

Most important info is that the bodegas on the drop-in winery bike tour in Maipu is open every day BUTNOT SUNDAY.

Most of the rental places provide bike helmets, though a lot of people do not like to wear them.

There are bike paths on much of the main road, though not all , especially further south. They are extending them gradually.

There are many bike agencies, but I do not like to recommend one business over another here for credibility Arrive early, check their bicycles (quality varies), ask for another one, and if you are not satisfied, head for another nearby business to get a better bike.

Maipu Wine Bike Tour

Renting a bike in Maipu to see some bodegas, closed Sundays, get off the bus at Calle Urquiza and there are several bike rentals nearby, there are lots. Make sure the bike is in good shape! Get clear directions and a map. Then, bike south along Urquiza and make sure you hit the following bodegas: Tempus Alba, Di Tommaso and Carinae, and the Olive farm across from Carinae. Budget about 150 pesos for winetastings, bikes cost about 45 pesos to rent until 6 pm. The further south you go, the more beautiful the mountain views to the west.

Go early! Leave city about 8 am, getting to bike rentals about 9 am, because of ensuring getting a good bike, and to get distances done in the relative cool of the morning to avoid heat. It is recommended to go all the way to Carinae first , and then take your time to work your way back north slowly. Then the heat and wine consumption will only have to impair you on the last part of your return trip.

Here is a map of the wine bodegas to the immediate east and

west of the city of Mendoza, including the Maipu area. It does not show the other areas such as Lujan de Cuyo. argentinaesmendoza.com.ar/imagenes/maipuguay…

LOCAL BUSES, "COLLECTIVOS", TO TAKE TO MAIPU-

TAKE A BUS THAT SAYS "10" IN BIG NUMBERS AT THE TOP AND THE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING IN SMALL NUMBERS IN THE WINDOW:

# 171, # 172, # 173 AT THE CORNER OF RIOJA AND CATAMARCA STREET IN CENTRAL MENDOZA CAPITAL, 3 BLOCKS SOUTH OF CALLE SAN MARTIN. GET OFF ON URQUIZA WHEN YOU SEE ALL THE BIKE RENTAL SHOPS SPACED BETWEEN THE PLAZOLETA RUTINI AND GOMEZ STREET. Take coins, it will cost you about 4.50 pesos one way, you cannot use bills. Also, it is better to buy a bus card for 3 pesos and charge it up, as many buses now are being converted into card only entry, no coins.

A blog by someone who rented a bike in Maipu and did the bodega self-tour: gogreentravelgreen.com/green-travel-stories/…

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking to wineries around Mendoza

Also, I have not visited the Lujan bodegas by bike (I have done lots of them by bus however, they are usually more high-end, although they rquire reservations as opposed to the drop-in ones in Maipu), bu this could be better as there is a safe bike path separately off the main road going from Agrielo to Perdriel. I intend on doing the Lujan bike tour with some kids later, SO ANY MORE TIPS ON THE LUJAN BIKE SELF-TOUR WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

The Valle de Uco would be the best place to rent a bike and visit superb wineries,(not because of bike paths, but because of the incredible mountain views and green fields, and because there are so man quiet country roads bisecting the valley) , but as far as I know, there are no bike rental businesses in the towns of Tupungato, Tunuyan, San Carlos, Vista Flores or others in this incredibly beautiful and unique valley an hour south by car from Mendoza city (which is why most do it by car or tour). Getting a bike or getting a bike there would be problematic for most tourists. I had a wonderful experience when a friend dropped me and my bike off there for 4 days of biking, wineries and camping last year.

3. Re: Biking to wineries around Mendoza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:19