We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

Hi,

We have one night booked at the Sheraton in December. As a guest of this hotel will we have access to the trails and falls before and after opening time?

Thanks

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

There are no access gates between the Sheraton Hotel and the walkways of the Argentine Park.

Yes,it's possible to walk into the park before and after normal park hours,but I would be hesitant to do so after dark,for safety reasons.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

What's out there?

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

Thanks so much for your reply. Knowing that helps us with our planning.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

The Iguazu Park is located in a forested area. Many of the walkways are not lighted thus not safe for passage without an employee of the park service.

It's best not to be in this area at night unless supervised by park service personnel.

On full moon nights, the park has organized visits which are excellent to attend.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

Hi Los Gatos and also Edmonton!

The Sheraton is actually located inside the Argentine national park. You'll face no physical impediment to walking to any part of the Argentine falls. It's about 2 miles from the hotel to the lip of the grand falls, which is the most distant corner of the national park from the Sheraton. (A slightly shorter distance to some of the other walkways in the park.)

In December the sun rises at 5:40 a.m. Argentine Time (there's no Daylight Saving Time in Argentina; add one hour for times in Brazil, should you go across). Sunset is about 7:20 p.m. in mid-December. Since national park gates don't open to everyone else until 9 a.m., you'll have at least four hours of daylight to see the park all by yourself on a December morning, and a bit in the evening too until darkness sets in around 8 p.m.

If you're there between December 3 and 11, 2011 you'll also have bright moonlight all evening. (Starting December 12, the moon comes up one or more hours after darkness has fallen, but there will still be several more days of late night moonlight. Also, for those who may read this in future years, the times I've mentioned are for 2011 ONLY.)

Public tours will be offered likely between December 3 and 9, 2011 but guests in the Sheraton are not bound by the tour offerings, and can go wherever and whenever you please, including moonlit hours other than those the public is allowed in.

Naturally, I'd bring flashlights, but the paths in the park are wide and safe. There's no danger of falling into the Iguasu River, although you might stumble if you're not careful.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

Hi David,

I enjoy reading your detailed replies, and would like to thank you for the time.

We are going to stay at Sheraton Iguazu June 1-3, 2012. If we do not do the guided moonlight tour, will we still be able to take the ecotrain to the Devil's throat or eat at the park restaurant? Is it worth paying the extra for the guided tour for the experience? Do we need to book in advance, or will the hotel help after we reach there?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

Thank you for your kind words!

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of direct knowledge of what happens in the national park once the gates close to outside visitors. I don't know about the shuttle train and the restaurant at night.

In 2012, the full moon falls on the night of June 4. That means that beween June 1 and 3, the bright moon will already be well up in the eastern sky at sunset, and will climb nearly overhead as the evening progresses.

I'd arrange my tour with the hotel, at the earliest, rather than booking from overseas. Remember that even if the group should officially be "full," there's nothing to stop you from tagging along. At the Sheraton, you're already inside the park, and you have the right to go wherever you please.

Pack a small flashlight in your luggage, or purchase one along the way. Moonlight isn't always as bright as we might want.

Happy travels!

David

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

Thank you David, and thanks for the advice about the flashlight. I will do that.

Another question; Is there a moonwalk on the Brazilian side, if so how do we book that, or can we go on our own? We will be arriving at IGU airport at 1900 and take a private ride to Sheraton. Would it make sense to stop on the Brazilian side of the falls, at that time ( about 2030-2100 hrs, Brazilian time?

Edited: 11 March 2012, 22:07
9. Re: Before and after hours access if guests at Sheraton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:42