We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton or Hotel das Cataratas

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton or Hotel das Cataratas

There are so many comments that it is worth splurging on staying in one of the National Park Hotels.

Has anyone stayed in both the Sheraton and the Hotel das Cataratas and can say which is better?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton or Hotel das Cataratas

Hi Melbourne!

Here's an article I previously wrote on this very subject. I've edited it for you, and I apologize to those who may already have read it:

Whether to stay in the swank Hotel Cataratas in Brazil (and likewise the Argentine Sheraton) will depend on several factors that you must weigh:

- both are quite pricy. Do you want to pay?

- both are located inside the respective national parks, so you can go down to the falls at any hour, even when the park is closed to everybody else

- will you really want to go to the falls at all hours? You have to think about sleep, resting, meals, and doing your toilet. It's dark. Will you really go strolling enough to justify the extra cost.

- the Cataratas is 25 km from town. (The Sheraton is about 15 km from Puerto Iguazu, Argentina.) Were you hoping to dine and shop downtown, or are you happy to stay at the hotel and eat in its pricy restautant?

- very nice hotels costing between half and one-quarter the price of these luxury places are located on the roads between the falls and downtown. For example, we overnighted at the Florença in Brazil for around AUS$70/night. The Florença is under 10 km from the national park gates. There are a number of other swank roadside hotels that still cost nowhere near Cataratas (and Sheraton) prices. Things are even cheaper in the cities.

- buses and taxis will take you to the park from hotels along the road or from downtown. For that matter, complimentary transportation from the hotels is provided for those who book tours, such as the Macuco boat ride up under some of the falls.

The international bridge between Brazil and Argentina is located about 5 km from downtown Foz do Iguaçu or 20 km from the falls. In other words, to go to Argentina is less convenient from the Cataratas than it would be from most anyplace else on the Brazilian side. (And vice versa for the Sheraton.) If you're taking a taxi to Argentina, though, you'd cover any extra distance in under 10 minutes, so I would not think distance from Argentina is much of a factor for anyone.

Note that you cannot cross between Argentina and Brazil DIRECT at the falls itself. There are no crossings in the national parks. The only way is to drive 20 km around to the international bridge and cross there.

If you'll be traveling under an Australian passport, check with your foreign affairs website to find out what visa rules apply to you. I believe that Australians visiting Brazil require special, expensive visas that must be arranged in advance. These are not the kind of visas that are merely stamped in at the border.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton or Hotel das Cataratas

Capetien has made some very good observations which may help you decide where you really want to stay. Having stayed at both, although I am from Argentina and prefer Puerto Iguazu as a town, I did really like Das Cataratas and imho it is a superior Hotel to the Sheraton . When I visit again, I would choose Das Cataratas without hesitation.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton or Hotel das Cataratas

We also thought about staying at one of the hotels in the park but after getting more info we stayed in Puerto Iguazu at the St George hotel and didn't regret our decision, you can get a bus to the falls across the street from the bus station and there's a good selection of restaurants for dinner. the hotels in the park are nearer the falls but there's nothing else around.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton or Hotel das Cataratas

Chrella it is true that once at either of these Hotels there is nothing else around and for many people staying in town is a better option. I looked at my stay at Das Cataratas as a luxury getaway from it all in the most incredible surroundings. I was happy to just wander around the falls, on both sides and retreat to a very peaceful and beautiful Hotel. I found the food at the Hotel excellent (though of course not cheap) but as a total package it was good value for money as I remember the holiday as one of the best in my life and I do not remember the price. But I must make the observation that it was not my first visit to Iguazu and so I had no need to see Puerto Iguazu . Perhaps as a first time visitor on reflection staying in town might be a better option.

5. Re: Sheraton or Hotel das Cataratas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 22:22