We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Full Moon Tour from the Sheraton

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Full Moon Tour from the Sheraton

Note: We're posting this in both the top level Iguazu Falls forum and the full moon-specific forum in the hope that curious travelers find it!

Last night we took the full moon tour at Iguazu falls from the Sheraton hotel.  We found that getting the exact story on how that works was a little difficult, so here's how it works (at least as of last night!):

Make your reservation with the park.   You can do it online before you come (as we did) or they'll happily do it from the hotel (I think without charge, but again, we didn't do it so they may try to charge you).  At this point, with the reservation, you have a slot, but you should not have had to pay anything yet. The  important thing to realize is that this reservation is with the park, not with the hotel.  The tour is run by the park, and as such begins from the front gate of the park.  Therefore, you need to pay a taxi driver to bring you there and then to pick you up to and from the Sheraton. The cost last night was $120 pesos (total, for both to and from).

One other thing to note is that when you make the reservation with the park, there is an option to get dinner with it at the park's restaurant.  I would recommend doing that.  This is because while the Sheraton website (and in-hotel menu book) says that the restaurant is open until 11:30, it in fact closes at 11:00.  We went on the earliest tour expressly so that we could eat at the Sheraton restaurant, and found that we got back too late.  We instead had to eat from the bar menu, which is limited, and expensive (and disappointing since we had hoped for a nice meal).  Some review on Tripadvisor said that the food was no better than a food court's, but we went into the restaurant and while it was buffet style, it all smelled good and looked fine, and in any case was much better than what we ended up with at the Sheraton bar.  So that's your best bet.

Once you get the taxi driver to take you from the Sheraton to the park's main gate, things are pretty easy.  You walk about three or four blocks down a lighted path manned by park employees who will direct you to a gift shop, and there you talk to two cashiers.  The first takes your reservations and your payment and directs you to the second, who checks you in and crosses your name off the list.  Given the walk and the check-in process, I'd recommend that you show up about 20-25 minutes before your tour time.  After that, just follow the crowd and enjoy the tour!  There were instructions and guidance in both English and Spanish, and the view of the falls was incredible.  Some people have said that its not worth it, but we disagree forcefully.  It was really spectacular, and it's not always available, so if you have the opportunity, you should seize it.  Enjoy!

I hope this helps explain the process a little and that someone finds it useful.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Full Moon Tour from the Sheraton

Thank you for your excellent report on the Full Moon Tour of the Falls. We get so many questions about it but not enough current info.

Happy to hear that you enjoyed it.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Full Moon Tour from the Sheraton

Thank you, Andrew and Kate, for that fun and useful TR.

As RicardoBA said, this information is very specific and will answer questions for visitors lucky enough to be in IF during the Full Moon - and so able to take advantage of this fine tour.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Full Moon Tour from the Sheraton

Andrew and Kate thank you. It is very helpful, on my next trip I will make sure I do this tour. I had wanted to do it in the past and it seemed quite complicated when I enquired. I will print this out for my next trip. How lucky you were with that incredible full moon!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Full Moon Tour from the Sheraton

Thanks, this is a great post for people heading there lucky enough to be there when there's full moon.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Full Moon Tour from the Sheraton

Washington, can you confirm that your tour was held on May 6th?

I ask this because it's been my understanding that the full moon tour only takes place up to the night of the full moon, which was May 5 in the western hemisphere. It would be good if the tours were held an extra night later, but the moon did not come up until nearly 8 p.m. Sunday evening, almost two hours after sunset.

Many thanks

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Edited: 08 May 2012, 17:13
6. Re: Trip Report: Full Moon Tour from the Sheraton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:41