We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets for the Falls?

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
102 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets for the Falls?

My hudband and I are visiting the Brazil and Argentina sides of Iguazu Falls as part of our South America trip in 3 weeks and there seems to be some uncertainty about whether you need malaria tablets. Any advice on this? The health websites indicate low risk, but the cost of Malarone is nothing compared to the cost of our trip and the risk of malaria!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

Malaria pills are not suggested for your visit to the Falls. What is suggested that you have the Yellow Fever vacc which is good for 10 years.

Be sure to wear insect repellet with DEET, and wear sunscreen,

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

Baill veih Jee dhyt!

When we visited, we suffered no ill effects. That's not the same as saying you won't, but we did not take the tablets, and we were fine.

Let me share a bit of insight. Malaria is borne by mosquitoes. We saw no mosquitoes at all by day, in either Argentina or Brazil.

The mosquitoes come out at night. Normally, you will not be out and about in the national parks at night. They're closed to new visitors around 5 p.m., and don't reopen until 9.

How do I know that the biters come out at night? One blissfully pleasant evening, I thought it would be delightful to leave our hotel windows open. There seemed to be no insects flying around.

Big mistake! The mosquitoes waited until we were sound asleep, then arrived in force. We both awakened around midnight to find that our room had become a mosquito airport, with numerous take-offs and landings, and at last a dozen biters parked on the walls, the position a mosquito assumes when it is digesting its blood meal.

I offer two lessons from this tale:

1) Under no circumstances leave your windows open at night

2) Even though we scratched for a week, neither of us suffered any medical consequences from our in-room blood-donor clinic. That's not to say it can't happen to you. But it didn't happen to us.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

We are due to travel to the Brazil and Argentina sides of Iguazu Falls as part of our South America trip on 14 March. We were due to have the yellow fever jab last Saturday, but when we got there, we found out that there is an increased

risk of side effects for people over sixty. We have therefore decided not to

risk having this vaccination.

My question is, does anyone know if there are many mosquitos around in

the middle of March, and would we be foolish to go to the falls area without

having the yellow fever jab? We understand that we do not need to worry about malaria tablets.

I would be grateful for any comments about this.

Thank you

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
191 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

dont bother! yellow fever vaccination and malarone precautions are not needed.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
28 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

Now I'm worried.

We are told we would be denied boarding on our South African Airways flight if we didn't have Yellow Fever Innoculations. A dilemma, since we are both in our sixties.

Are there alternatives?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

Who told you you will be denied boarding? we had no shots before we visited the falls and didn't take malaria tablets as they're not needed.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

On my 6 week trip to South America last year the only place that they checked whether I had had the Yellow Fever vaccination was when I re-entered Australia. I visited Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia and Chile. None of these countries or the airlines were in the least concerned.

What are the Indian regulations for re-entering India after visiting South America? That might be what you need to consider as Australia requires it if visiting some of the [laces I included on my trip.

If you are at all still worried get a letter from your doctor saying it is not recommended you get them. I seriously doubt you will need it but do so if it will give you peace of mind as you head off on your trip.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 08:59
Bangalore
Level Contributor
28 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

We are traveling South African Airways via Johannesburg. They asked for this in their website. Now that you raised this doubt in my mind, I'll speak to their sales office. Thanks for the input.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
28 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check this out.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,827 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria tablets for the Falls?

It's not always the requirement of the country you are visiting but can be the requirement of the next country you are entering or your own home country you are returning to.

In Australians cases its a very specific question on our passenger arrivals card regarding yellow fever and when our response is compared with our passport we are then asked to produce our innoculation card as evidence.

I have two friends who ignored my advice to get the jab as they wanted to save some cash. It turned out to be a costly mistake when they were placed in quarantine for several weeks upon returning home.

So it's best to check the requirements of your home country. Usually each country has a govt website for infectious disease control where you can check up.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 15:00
Get answers to your questions about Iguazu National Park