We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English speaking tours in Iguazu?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
English speaking tours in Iguazu?

Hello, we will be in Iguazu for 3 nights at the end of August. Since it is our first time in Argentina, and our Spanish is limited to Hola, we would like to join an English Speaking tour. Does anyone know any local tours? and, any tips for visiting during this winter season?

Thank you for replying!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English speaking tours in Iguazu?

Hi NYC!

Let me offer two answers:

1) When we visited, English group tours could be found, but they are not always convenient. When we arrived, a Spanish-speaking group (and, on the Brazilian side, a Portuguese group) would usually be leaving soon. For English, they sometimes said we'd have a lengthy wait. In Brazil, we decided to join the Portuguese tour. The guide made a few references in English for our benefit, but for the most part, we had no difficulty anyway. In the parks, the brochures and road signs are in English.

2) Are you completely convinced that you need a guide at all? In both the Argentine and Brazilian national parks, the attractions are either obvious (you wouldn't need a guide to say: "This is the falls") or all the signs be in English, Spanish and Portuguese.

3) Why not a third answer! You already know more Spanish than you think, if you're a New Yorker. (You did say Hola!) We're monoglot Anglos from Nova Scotia, Canada, where our only exposure to Spanish comes in the form of bilingual packaging imported from the United States! We get by in both Argentina and Brazil using our 100-word Spanish vocabulary (written Portuguese is similar to Spanish, once you get the hang of it), bilingual signage and some guessing. I believe you will too!

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English speaking tours in Iguazu?

Thanks David,

I loved reading your reply, you made me laugh!

How about crossing the border to Brazil? How did you manage it? We will be staying somewhere in Iguazu Argentina, would like to spend a day on the Brazilian side. Do wee need a visa?

Thank you again~!~

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English speaking tours in Iguazu?

Yes. US passport holders (and Canadians and Australians) require special, expensive visas to travel in Brazil. They cost well over US$100 and you have to apply in advance for one. These aren't the kind that are just stamped in at the border when you go across.

For you to ask me this question means you probably aren't planning to do get the visas simply for a casual visit at Iguasu Falls. If you decide that you won't get visas, let me share a couple of stories:

When we visited the Brazilian Falls (with Brazilian visas) we took a notion that we'd like to see Paraguay. Our hotel put us in touch with an English speaking guide, who took us in his specially marked vehicle. At the international bridge, the Paraguayan border patrol looked in our Canadian passports, handed them back and waved us across.

After we got home, I learned that Paraguay has the same strict visa requirements as Brazil. I believe that the Paraguayan patrolman let us through because he knew our guide, and was confident that the guide would bring us back to Brazil at the appointed time.

I've not tried the same from Argentina going into Brazil. We had the visas. Others have written, though, that their guides were able to do the same as we did coming to Brazil from Argentina.

Remember that just because someone else did it doesn't guarantee that you'll make it too. Someone else might merely have been lucky. A new border patrolman who's not familiar with the ropes could spoil things. You should know, though, that I and others have stories of how exceptions have been made in the Iguasu Falls region for professional guides, with a reputation to maintain, who know the local customs better than you and I do.

David

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English speaking tours in Iguazu?

Thank you for reply. Any reputable guide to recommend?

I read int he forum that we can get a visa in Iguazu at the Brazilian consulate... I guess we will take a chance to go to the hotel first (still looking for one), then inquire about the option of a guide.

Thanks again.

Livingston, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: English speaking tours in Iguazu?

I found Say Hueque on-line. They have been very responsive to my questions about a 3-day, 2-night trip to the Falls including giving me an entire itinerary. However, I don't know anything about them. Does anyone have any experience with Say Hueque?

6. Re: English speaking tours in Iguazu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:18