We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a visa for a day trip to Brazilian side of falls?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a visa for a day trip to Brazilian side of falls?

I will be in Puerto Iguazu for three days and two nights. We wanted to take day trip (via organized tour group) to the Brazilian side of the falls. Will we need to get a visa for a four hour tour?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a visa for a day trip to Brazilian side of falls?

Yes, you will need a visa in order to visit the Brazilian side of the Falls. It is best to obtain at home before you arrive in Argentina.

Brazil is currently issuing visas which last for 10 years to USA passport holders.

While you may read entries here from other people who have crossed the border without a visa, please be aware that it is illegal to be in Brazil without the proper paperwork. Should some unusual occurrence happen to you while you were in a foreign country without the proper paperwork then you would be responsible for the consequences.

There are people in Iguazu who will offer to take you to Brazil without the proper paperwork and for extra fees, but I doubt if they could rescue you if something happened with the authorities.

Get a visa, It's the legal thing to do.

The views from the Brazilian side of the Falls is amazing and you should experience it. You spend a lot of money to get to Iguazu then enjoy all of it.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a visa for a day trip to Brazilian side of falls?

Hi Dallas!

What I'd do if I were you is ask that question of your tour operator. Professionals who make their living in cross-border travel at the falls know better that people in Canada and the United States what the actual rules are. Sometimes the real situation is different from what it tells you on government websites.

For a contrast to what the California writer just said, here's a link to some earlier discussions on the subject, including a couple of articles written by those who actually did go across, and found no problem.

tripadvisor.com/…54523318

I fully agree with the California writer on one point: the panoramic view from Brazil is the best of all. In my view, it's the grandest waterfall sight in the world.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
536 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a visa for a day trip to Brazilian side of falls?

I will need an argentina visa for my trip,so that has to be paid.

If I choose to visit the Brazil falls(jan27-29 2015)would my brazil visa from October of 2009 still be valid.The reciprocacy agreement is now 10 years ,but the stamp on the 2009 visa states that it is valid for 5years.My old visa is on a different passport ,so would it be acceptable.

Looks like the whole border crossing situation has changed from 2009 when we just easily crossed both borders on a brazil visa.Seems like both countries would lose a lot of tourist business.Spending 160 dollars for a visa I need for 3-4 hours is a bit much .

Is it riskier to cross from Argentina -Brazil and back then the reverse route,or did I have a guide who put me at risk in 2009.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a visa for a day trip to Brazilian side of falls?

Your Brazilian visa which was issued for 5 years is only good for 5 years. If your passport with that visa has expired, then you simply travel with your new passport and the old one with the visa to show the immigration officers.

The border crossing is pretty much the same as in years past, except now Argentina requires the payment of a reciprocity fee prior to entering the country. Since this can be done online, then you can obtain it whenever

you like. The reciprocity fee is good for 10 years so be sure to retain the printoff from the website.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a visa for a day trip to Brazilian side of falls?

A visa is required, as Brazil applies reciprocity to the US. As Brazilians are required to have a visa to visit the US, the same is required from US travelers. Some countries don't apply reciprocity or make an easier procedure, but that's not the case of Brazil.

6. Re: Do I need a visa for a day trip to Brazilian side of falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Iguazu National Park