We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Have read messages on this and am grateful for all the people who take the time to write into the forum, however I am still unclear...i'd be really grateful if anybody can answer me the following questions:

Are there sleeper (cama?) buses running from Iguazu that go *directly* to Rio? (what is the rough one-way cost?)

If they are not direct, where would I need to go to change to get to Rio?

Are they regular - are there a lot of buses doing this journey?

How long is the journey from Iguazu to Rio by the fastest bus? Does it take 20 hours? 24 hours? Or more?

I'd be really grateful for any replies; has anybody taken the trip? I can't seem to find any basic info about this route though it seem a lot of people do this trip.

If there is a bus going my plan is to set off on 22nd December to arrive at Rio on 23rd December (cos I have a hotel booked at Rio then).

Many many thanks - i will do a full report on my s.america trip for trip advisor forums when I return (im going on 3rd december until 29th december) - places stayed, my ratings, experiences etc.

S

buenos aires
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

The service to Rio from Puerto Iguazu is daily (with an extra coach on Friday). It starts at 12.30pm and arrives at 10.pm so 21.30 hours. The coach company is crucerodelnorte.com.ar but I dont think you can book by net only phone, and I dont know if they speak english.

Judging by the frequency of journeys I would be surprised if you had difficulty booking if you waited until you arrived in Bs As.

To look at all journeys from Bs As go to tebasa.com.ar. this is the central bus station and is huge, about 100 stops.

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Thanks mark

it's actually from Iguazu to Rio that that I wanted to go.

i decided last night that in any case i would get a plane for this trip; i booked via ebookers and its cost me £115; seems a reasonable deal.

S

Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Hi there just wondering what did you do about the night bus from iguazu to rio i am planning on doing the exact same thing as you (except in Feb) and although you went in '05 was just wondering how the night busses were to travel on and if you have any reccomendations?

Many thanks

Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

I was wondering how you went with the night busses travelling from iguazu to rio? I know you went a few years ago however i am after answers to the same questions you had asked? Since i cant find any responses just wondering how you went and what you did? As i am planning on doing the same thing in Feb 09.

Hope to hear from you soon :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Hiya, in the end I crossed the border at Iguazu from the Argentina side to the Brazil side and got a flight from there to Rio that had a stop at Sao. The flight was delayed by 4 or 5 hours, missed the connection so had a wait at Sao for a different flight...it was all really chaotic cos of that and I remember wishing I'd got the bus! But I could only wish for that cos of remembering seeing cama buses at Iguazu (Argentina side) that were headed directly for Rio, so if nothings changed you should be able to get one. They seemed top quality (ie coche-cama) buses to me. Soz can't be more helpful cos I'd decided to get a flight for that part of the trip but good luck.

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

p.s. the night bus i got from Bs As to Iguazu was top quality, they even served a glass of champagne before we retired to sleep for the night:) these are the top class quality ones, highly recommended and should be affordable if you are from Australia.

London
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Hi am planning to travel from BA to Iguazu. Finding it easy to get a flight on the Argentinian side to Iguacu but not form Brazilian to Rio. Sounds like the bus which is very long may be better anyhow. How long was your bus journey from BA to Iguazu and how much was it? Better than flying? Does anyone have any idea whether it better to fly or take a bus from Foz de Iguacu to Rio?

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Hi am planning to travel from BA to Iguazu. Finding it easy to get a flight on the Argentinian side to Iguacu but not form Brazilian to Rio. Sounds like the bus which is very long may be better anyhow. How long was your bus journey from BA to Iguazu and how much was it? Better than flying? Does anyone have any idea whether it better to fly or take a bus from Foz de Iguacu to Rio?

Hi Londongal; the journey from BA to Iguazu took 15-16 hours; it was delayed so we couldn't get off the bus very much but that didn't matter cos it was extremely comfy (seats recline right back so you can sleep etc) and regular service on the bus and also stops. I enjoyed the trip lots. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't expensive (and I'm from UK). The flight from Iguazu (Brazil side) to Rio was a nightmare cos I had to change at Sao and it was delayed, but can't comment on the bus to Rio cos never got it so hope someone else can help. S

Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Thanks heaps tigerbee! I think i'll just try my luck and bus it through. What a shame about all the plane delays you experienced. Thanks for replying so quickly. Have an awesome day!

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help! Iguazu to Rio by sleeper (cama)

Glad to be of help, you'll deffo have fun going by cama! The quality of cama is far superior to UK coaches. It was very safe too (though I'd advise always to take the higher class bus). By the way I also bussed (cama) it from Florianopolis down to Montevideo and that was great and comfy too :-)