We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses from Buenos Aires

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buses from Buenos Aires

We plan to take a bus from BA to Puerto Iguazu, in mid December. There are several bus companies listed as providing service between BA and Puerto Iguazu. We understand it is a 20 hour trip and would want to take a bus which has reclining seats for sleeping.

Is there a company which is more reliable than another, one which is better for sleepers?

Is there a particular departure time from BA which would be best for seeing the countryside during the daylight hours?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

I travelled to Puerto Iguazu last week with Via Bariloche. Their tutto leto service leaves BsAs at around 7.30pm and gets to Puerto Iguazu around 11am the next day. The last part of the journey has the best scenery, so it´s a good option. The bus is very comfortable and the seats recline 180 degrees. Blankets are provided.

There is an airline-type meal, plus wine and a whisky nightcap, then breakfast next morning. Don´t expect gourmet food! Bring earplugs if you don´t want to watch the movie, although it finishes at around 11pm.

You can book your seats online on the Via Bariloche website but will need to be at Retiro bus station at least two hours before departure to collect your tickets. Or pick them up well ahead of time and then be at Retiro ten minutes beforehand.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

Thanks Londoniense. This is a big help.

At the moment we are planning to leave BA for Iguazu Falls on Sunday, Dec. 16. We arrive in BA on the 11th. Should I be reserving my ticket online or will I be sure of getting a seat if I pick the ticket up once I arrive in BA?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

I think you had better book on line and then pick up your ticket on arrival. It’s getting in to the Christmas period and buses might fill up. The on line booking went well for me. You get to choose your seat from a seating plan too.

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

Londoniense

How early did you need to be at the bus station before your return journey from P. Iguaza?

What advice can you offer regarding seat selection on this bus trip?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

I did not return direct to BsAs from Puerto Iguazu, as I stopped off in the Esteros de Iberá wetlands (highly recommended). On the outward journey they said to be there ten minutes before departure. The bus does not pull into its bay until then anyway. When you collect your ticket they’ll tell you which bay or range of bays it’ll be.

If you are travelling alone then you’ll want to be on the side where there is only one seat (there are three across). All seats are upstairs, so don’t think downstairs is already sold out, since you can’t select it. It’s where the conductor hangs out and the bar is.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

Expreso Tigre Iguazu also runs a bus from Retiro to the falls. They have several departures throughout the day. The current prices are 159 pesos for the semi-cama up to 220 pesos for the super cama. I have not ridden this line but I recall the buses looked pretty decent.

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

Londoniense

How full was the bus you travelled on to Iguazu? We are a group of 5 and hope to depart for Iguazu on Sunday June29 and return to BA Wednesday July 2. I wonder if these dates will fill up faster? I was hoping to buy the tickets when we are in BA one week prior. Do you think I need to buy on-line with more than a week advance?

We are also very interested in stopping off at Esteros de Iberá wetlands. Would you please provide information on how you arranged transportation and lodging? The logistics seemed so difficult that I had given up on visiting this area.

Thank you for your help,

Mary

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

Since there are five of you, I would definitely book on line and then pick up your tickets on arrival in BsAs. My bus was full.

I travelled to Ibera from Iguazu, with stops at San Ignacio Mini and in Mercedes. I mistimed my departure from S Ignacio so it took all day, with changes in Posadas and Corrientes. However, it was pouring with rain all day, so I wasn't too concerned.

For further information, check out my and other reviews of the Esteros. You could book the lodges on line. That's what I did. About 5/6 days before going there.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

I am planning to take a bus from Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu in early december 08. Via Bariloche seems to be the best bet although on the website its says that there is nothing available. Would this be correct? Cheers

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,410 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buses from Buenos Aires

The booking schedules for December would not be available at this early date.

Check closer to the departure date.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Iguazu