We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iguazu Yellow Fever/Malaria

st louis
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Iguazu Yellow Fever/Malaria

Does anyone have knowledge of any recent cases of yellow fever or malaria at Iguazu? Do the mosquitoes present a more dangerous risk at any particular time of year?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iguazu Yellow Fever/Malaria

You can check the CDC website for any outbreaks of Yellow Fever in Iguazu. Generally speaking, if you are just visiting the National Park areas of Argentina and Brazil then you should be just fine. If you are planning to go on an extended trek into the jungle areas then you should check with your physician to see if any preventative treatment is necessay.

Just bring along insect repellent for the mosquitos. When I visited there, I was not bothered by the mosquitos. They were worst in BsAs after the rain.

st louis
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iguazu Yellow Fever/Malaria

Thank you for your advice.We will only be at the National Park for 24 hours.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iguazu Yellow Fever/Malaria

most experts recommend only mosquito repellent (not the anti-malarial) for short visits into such areas -- you'll need the repellent anyway because any anti-malarial meds will do nothing to prevent (the more likely ) dengue fever.

Take your Deet based repellent with you (I brought OFF wipes -- easy to pack and carry around) -- use it .

4. Re: Iguazu Yellow Fever/Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 20:18