We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caution!! Do not hire Lucas Altuna at Iguazu. Unreliable!

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Caution!! Do not hire Lucas Altuna at Iguazu. Unreliable!

We hired Lucas Altuna of Iguassu Misted Falls Vacations to be our guide at Iguazzu Falls this December, 2008. We made the reservation last January and had several emails confirming it. When I tried to reconfirm our reservation in November, Lucas did not reply to my emails. When I finally reached him by telephone after numerous attempts, he said he would meet us at the airport at Iguazu as we had planned. I emailed again in December for final confirmation and called him from Buenos Aires a couple of days before our arrival in Iguazu, but got no response. We telephoned the Iguazu Jungle Lodge (which Lucas had booked for us) to see if they could reach him but they tried and could not get him on the phone. They finally spoke to him the day before we arrived (we did not find this out until we arrived)and he told them he would not be coming. He gave them no reason. They sent someone to meet us at the airport. We still have not heard from him--not even a word of apology or a reason for not showing up!!

We had been planning to go to the Brazilian side of the Falls with Lucas who told us he could get us there without a visa. After we arrived, we asked others if we could go there without one and they said it was risky, so we did not go. This was very disappointing.

Lucas' behavior was extremely unprofessional. I advise others to NOT use his services.

By the way, The Jungle Lodge was lovely and the people there were very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Iguazu National Park
Iguazu National Park
Province of Misiones, Argentina
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Iguazu Jungle Lodge
Iguazu Jungle Lodge
1,134 Reviews
Puerto Iguazu, Argentina
California
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Caution!! Do not hire Lucas Altuna at Iguazu. Unreliable!

Could you describe The Jungle Lodge? Is it a luxury resort? We had stayed at the Sheraton for its location but I wondered if it would have been nicer to stay at The Jungle Lodge. How far is it from the falls?

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caution!! Do not hire Lucas Altuna at Iguazu. Unreliable!

The Lodge is near the town of Puerto Iguazu, about 20 km from the Falls. Its backdrop is the jungle and it has about 5 duplexes. Each unit is like an apartment, with a kitchen, dining room, living room bedroom and bath. There is a menu and you can have meals delivered to your room or eat at the pool area or cook your own food. I thought it was very luxurious. Breakfast was included in the price which was about $113 which included the 21% tax. You can check our their website for more details. Just do a search for Iguazu Jungle Lodge and you'll find it.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Iguazu
Puerto Iguazu
5,778 Reviews
Puerto Iguazu, Argentina
Iguazu Jungle Lodge
Iguazu Jungle Lodge
1,134 Reviews
Puerto Iguazu, Argentina
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
771 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caution!! Do not hire Lucas Altuna at Iguazu. Unreliable!

Thanks for the info. I had sent Lucas two e-mails a month or two ago to see about being our guide for our trip in March, but never heard back from him - I guess I am lucky!!

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Caution!! Do not hire Lucas Altuna at Iguazu. Unreliable!

After having been at Iguazu Nat'l Park, I realize that one does not really need a guide. The paths are clearly marked and many of the people working there speak English. One can easily explore on one's own.

I was disappointed about not going to the Brazilian side, although I've heard that 90% of the falls are on the Argentinian side, so maybe it wasn't a big deal. There's also a bird park on the Brazilian side. We went to a bird reserve on the Argentinian side that rescues injured birds and animals. It is a good cause and was a pretty good tour, but you have to go at the pace of the guide so you can't linger at particular areas (i.e. the monkeys, which were wonderful).

We went on a 4 hour guided bird-watching tour that we booked at Iguazu Nat'l Park ( although tour was from a private company--Safari Tours, I think, with Danie, an ornithologist as our guide). We really enjoyed it even though it was kind of expensive--$100/person.

Mentioned in this post
Iguazu National Park
Iguazu National Park
Province of Misiones, Argentina
5. Re: Caution!! Do not hire Lucas Altuna at Iguazu. Unreliable!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 20:16