We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

Which Puerto Iguazu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

We are flying into Puerto Igauzu, Argentina & plan to rent a car at the airport in Argentina. It seems that it's possible to drive the Argentine rental vehicle into Foz do Iguacu, Brazil. I would like to know if it's also possible to drive the same vehicle over the Paraguayan border into Ciudad del Este. Our plan is to do a circuit taking us from the Argentine side of the falls, explore the Brazilian side, and cross into Paraguay to explore the eastern side of the country before returning back to Brazil and Argentina the same way we came. Of course we have have pre arranged all visas to enter into each of these countries.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who may have used a rental car to cross the international borders at:

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina to Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

and...

Foz do Iguacu to Ciudad del Este, Paraguay.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

If you plan on taking a rental car into another country then you need to prearrange with the rental agency to have insurance coverage for the car for the other country.

It's not a difficult process to cross the border with the car, but you will need to have all that paperwork available for the car to present to the immigration officers.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

Hi LA!

I've done border crossings with our rental cars several times. Ask me any question!

For our trips commencing in Argentina, we started in Buenos Aires. The host charged us a fee of $50 for unlimited travel from Argentina into Mersosur countries, including Brazil and Uruguay. Border crossings are not excessively difficult, although if you travel at busy times you may face long waits, sometimes as much as an hour, we found. You can eliminate almost all waiting if you do your crossings in the morning wherever possible. The busiest time is late afternoon and, naturally, weekends are more crowded.

Everywhere we've driven in Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, and Chile, I've found the country safe and the paved roads in good condition.

You will be required to drop off the rental car in the same country as where you picked it up. (You said Puerto Iguazu, Argentina.) If you drop the car in the same country, but a different city, there will likely be a stiff drop charge, funding a car jockey to return the vehicle to its base.

You must let the car company know in advance that you plan to do cross-border travel. It must provide you with the proper paperwork and insurance valid in the other countries.

I've noticed in my travels that some rental firms are more helpful than others with cross-border travel. Some, and the big names seem to be the worst offenders, may try to get rid of you by saying that it's "impossible" or insisting on an excessive charge. Others are more obliging. I've dealt with Baires Rent-a-Car in Buenos Aires, always finding them helpful. The amount I mentioned is the price Baires charged me, out of Buenos Aires of course.

Happy travels!

David

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

Thank you Ricardo for the helpful information. We appreciate it!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

David,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. The information you've supplied us should help us out a lot! We are a family of 5 (3 young kids) so having a vehicle would make our trip much easier. I dont think we will need to rent a car until we arrive in Puerto Iguazu , Argentina. We'd like to drive it from there into Foz do Iguazu, Brazil....then onward to Paraguay via Ciudad del Este. We'd then like to drive down to Encarnacion and eventually back into Argentina where we'd return the vehicle at the same location in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina. That's the plan if we find a rental agency that will allow us to cross borders. Do you have any recommendations for rentals in or around Puerto Iguazu? I will check out the agency you mentioned in your first response too! Thanks again for all of your helpful info! :)

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

I don't know rental firms in the Iguasu Falls region. I've always driven in from someplace else.

(If one were planning only to see the Iguasu Falls region, car rental is usually a bad deal. It's uneconomical, compared with buses, taxis, and guides, and the border hassle with a car may not be worth the trouble for the short distances. For example, if you were expecting to take one of the boat cruises in the Iguasu River below the falls, the boat companies throw in free bus transportation from your hotel to the falls in their respective countries.)

If you can't find somebody good in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, on your own, contact someone like Eric at Baires in Buenos Aires. Even if he can't rent you a car in Puerto Iguazu, he might know a counterpart there who can, and trade referrals with him. Nobody knows the car rental situation better than a car rental firm.

David

Edited: 06 May 2014, 00:47
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

Baires Rent A Car does provide good customer service before the rental. But beware that the English pages on their web site do not include all the terms that their Spanish pages do. Specifically, they refuse to refund any money if you return the car early. It says this in Spanish, but that line is missing from their English page. They say they are not bound by what it says in English. So if you are not a proficient Spanish speaker beware.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

Hi Jim,

Beware of corrupt cops when driving in Paraguay. Also, be careful where you park in CDE. Don't leave any valuables in the car. Most of the cars that are stolen in Argentina are taken into Paraguay.

Near Encarnacion, you can visit a large jesuit historic mission as well as in San Ignacio, Argentina. It helps if you could speak some Spanish.

Enjoy,

Ann

8. Re: Taking Argentine rental car into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2016, 05:15