We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week itinerary for Salta province from July 18

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
1 week itinerary for Salta province from July 18

Hi,

I have decided to go to Salta province for 7 days, flying in from Buenos Aires in July.(thanks Giena for your recommendation in my earlier post).

I will be travelling with my friend, and most likely getting around by bus. Is the bus a reliable and easy option in this area?

Which places should we include, and how many nights should we spend in each location?

We plan to fly back to BUenos AIres on July 25, most likely from Salta, or is there another city we could finish off our week in and then catch a plane back to BA from there?

Are malaria precautions and yellow fever vaccine recommended for here?

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week itinerary for Salta province from July 18

No malaria, no yellow fever.

Consider winding up in San Miguel de Tucuman for your flight back. You can work your way south from the the city of Salta, through Cafayate, then through Tafi del Valle in Provincia de Tucuman, and on to San Miguel de Tucuman. San Miguel is where Argentina was forged during the wars of independence, so there's a lot of history to see there. The city square is also gorgeous at night.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week itinerary for Salta province from July 18

Jenny, we have MALARIA, the argentinian malaria... It`s a joke... you will not understand because you are not from Argentina... We call malaria to the lack of money (work or bussiness)...But no vaccination for that!!!!!

Do not worry about malaria, denggue or yellow fever. Nothing of these are here...You will not find a mosquito!

I suggest not to miss Purmamarca(spend at least one night or two...), Tilcara and the Salt Flats in the northern circuit... In he way to Tucuman as suggested by PUNTA LUGANO, you can see Cafayate, our wine country, (spend at least two nights, visit wineries, rent a bike, go to the goat cheese factory), you can take a bus ACONQUIJA to TAFI DEL VALLE. Maybe it snow... and it will look like Switzerland...

Buenoa Aires- Salta by bus os ok...

Have a great, great time and tell everybody how wonderful it is!!!!

Giena

Melbourne
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week itinerary for Salta province from July 18

Thanks for the suggestions. We've decided to only go north of Salta city for our 1 week. WOuld've liked to have gone to Valles Calchaquies and pass through Cachi and Cafayate, but I think we would spend too much time on buses every day to cover so much.

So most likely staying in salta for 2 nights, Purmamarca 1 night, tilcara 2 nights and anywhere else along the path to Humahuaca?

What is the best way to visit Salinas Grandes if we stay at the places I've mentioned above. Go from Purmamarca? Is there a bus?

Thanks again.

4. Re: 1 week itinerary for Salta province from July 18

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 13:21