We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes in the NW?

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes in the NW?

We'll be in the NW in November for 9 days. Can anyone recommend any hikes to take? Specifically we plan on visiting Salta, Cachi, Cafayate, Tilcara, Purmamarco. thanks!

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes in the NW?

Well, there are lots of hikes which you will really enjoy, around Purmamarca and Tilcara and in Cafayate. It is up to you, but it all depends on the time you will be in these places... In Cafayate there are some nice hikes in Quebrada de las Conchas.

Giena

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes in the NW?

Do you know where we could information about them? Will hotels have information on trails to hike? thanks

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes in the NW?

Geina and I have talked several times about hikes up there. One thing is tht the trails if they exist aren't marked and you are more or less walking through hills and trees and/or mountains at random. I have been to the NW many times and always have to hike in areas which are barren and don't appear to belong to anyone if that makes sense. The hotels have never been able to help me. Geina does some work in that area and can take you on them. Ask her.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes in the NW?

Thanks -- Giena did send me the name of someon (thru a PM) to contact. I emailed him/her, but havent heard back.

CT
Level Contributor
449 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikes in the NW?

well, you definitely want to take the walk that goes through the hills behind the village of Purmamarca. It's about an hour walk, I think, maybe less. Not a hike, I guess, but really not to miss.

contact PDXWindjammer. I think she probably did some hiking.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikes in the NW?

Thanks, skatedancer. I have been on email with PDXWindjammer getting info on her trip last year and she didn't really end up doing any hiking partly because of altitude.

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikes in the NW?

I'm not speaking of a walk but a 2 to 3 hour hike in, then out. Marked trails as we know them are not there, or if they exist I have not found them (trails). There is a NP in that area but it is very remote and requires going with a guide/tour.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikes in the NW?

Well, there are trials, an tracks in themountians used as trails. It is true what you say TARHEEL, the hotels can not give you any info about this. As many people come with a very limited time the trekking tours are combined with a good time of driving also. There are many of these tours and I myself recommend you to contact some of those guides who have experience in "that" specific kind of tours. There are not many and many of them are just "experiencing".

Tropico y Puna is the one I can recommend as serious and responsible.

Giena

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hikes in the NW?

It's beginningn to sound like we won't be doing much hiking. We don't really want to go off on an entire tour with only hiking. We like to sort of work it into our other plans with a hike here and there. Guess we'll just see what happens once we get there in November.

Thanks, everyone. Appreciate your comments

10. Re: Hikes in the NW?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 02:20