We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Hello!

We're planning to fly into Salta on Feb.17 and then back to BA on Feb. 21.

I've been reading the posts here on TA for suggested itineraries. Great suggestions so far.

I'm torn as to what area to visit... the Salta - Tilcara - and sights around that area sound wonderful. But so does the Calfayate valley area.

We love culture and quaint places...any suggestions as to what route to do... north or south of Salta? I don't want to always be driving so that is why I'm assuming I need to pick one area or the other.

Also - can you get to Tilcara from Cachi... do you have to route back through Salta?

Many thanks!!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
323 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Try this website www.ruta0.com you can have a very good idea of distances and how much time you need to get from one place to the other.

For example you need 4 hours more less to go from Salta to Cachi (one way)If I were you I would go to Purmamarca, Tilcara, Humahuaca, Cafayate and Maybe Cachi (its not the town is the scenery and the route, cuesta del obispo is named)

The city of Salta is very nice too, so you will need to stay at least one enterely day, Maybe other day you should go to Cafayate, the third day you can go to Purmamarca, Tilcara and the Salt(Salinas) and the last one if you still want to drive a little bit more you can go to Cachi.

Check the distances and I can help you, I did this travel one year ago

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Oh, no! I think you should part your trip into two parts. Two days for the northern circuit; Sata- Purmamarca- Salinas Grandes - Tilcara... overnight in Purmamarca and two-day tour to Cafayate visitng wineries or the goat cheese factory... Cachi is too much. Not for a four-day visit... American and Canadians are not interested is dying in the attempt to travel. They enjoy the trips.

And responding your last question... yes, you have to drive through Salta.

Warm regards,

Giena

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Thank you both for the information... very helpful!!

Is it easy to rent a car once in Salta... should I reserve one before we arrive?

Also - I've been looking at airfares on LAN.con... could you tell me if you think $176US one way to Salta is a good price... or do you think the airfares will go down over the months leading to Feb?

thanks again!!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
323 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Take into account that we don t have so many airlines and frecuencies like in the USA so You shouldn t wait until the last minute do book your flight.

Have a nice stay in our country

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Got back from Argentina only this last Saturday, spent 11 days in the N.W. - loved it.

I would recommend Giena's idea of 2 days in the north and 2 in the south - easy driving and surfaced roads all the way (though not if you visit Cachi/Iruya).

For the south I would stay a night in Cafayette and a night in Cabra Coral. For me Cabra Coral was the real surprise - lush, tropical scenery and all the water makes a great contrast to the Northern scenery.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

thanks wbBracknell ... good to hear your trip was fabulous!

Did you go to Iruya? I was thinking of going there as it seems like a gem of a place to see?

My only hold back right now in going to the south is that I don't want to be driving alot everyday. I'd love to get to a region and really explore it! For whatever reason... it seems I'm drawn to the north circuit as there seems to be lots of culture, lots to do etc.... maybe i need to re-evalutate this?

CT
Level Contributor
449 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

yes, this is the tough decision, but you will certainly not go wrong in just sticking with the north. You will also want at least a night and part of a day in Salta city.

bracknell
Level Contributor
190 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Go to the North - save the South for a future visit.

What we actually did was pick up a guide/driver in Salta and drove to Uyuni in Bolivia via Juyjuy/Punamarca etc. on the way up and Route 40 on the way back. We then picked up our own 4 wheel hire in Salta and spend 4.5 days in the South.

Truth be told Iruya was on the list for a nights stay and I had spent a lot of time establishing that this was worth the effort, but after 5 days of really bad roads in Bolivia we decided on dropping Iruya and sticking to a southern only route.

Let me assure you that in that northern corner all the main roads we were driven on where very good quality and even route 40 in this corner of Argentina is reasonable to drive. This may be more important for you because I believe February can be rainy whereas we drove in completely dry conditions.

If you are not keen on the drive do consider looking for a company who can do you a bespoke or small group itinerary - our experience in this area was exceptional and it was money well spent. Any costs can be offset against the would be car hire cost - our Ford 4 wheel drive came in at £sterling100 per day.

Good luck

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

Where is Bracknel? I assume England, and that explains your love for adventure, dirt roads, bumping and "savage" experiences... Canadians and American, IMO, like more light tours in the area. No much risk and the sceneries are more selected but certainly the best. Purmamarca - Tilcara and Salinas Grandes are the high spots in the northern cisrcuit, but pls, do not misunderstand, Iruya is beautiful but probably is not the idea of "enjoying" for those who prefer a nice restaurant for lunch and a welcoming stay in a hotel. Chossing means to leave some thing aside and Februry is certainly a time you should forget about Iruya and San Antonio de los Cobres and concentrate in those places which you will be able to visit on despite of the rain.

Is completelly valuable your love for nature and your wonderful experience, but it is not a good idea in that time of the year. Anyway, thank you for sharing.

I hope the NW of Argentina has fullfiled your expectations.

Warm regards,

Giena

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 4 nights in Salta region....help!!

We just got back from 9 days in the NW and it was absolutely fabulous. If u don't want to spend a lot of time driving then picking either the Southern circuit or the Northern one is a good plan. I agree with the the other posters who suggest the North. Spending 1 day and night in Salta and then 3 days in the North would work nicely. The scenery is spectacular and Tilcara is a nice little town to base yourself in...lots of retarants of music to check out at night. You can visit Purmamarca and the Salt Flats from there. I didnt love the Salt Flats, but the drive is beautiful. Purmamrca is stunning, but pretty much cloes up at 8-9 pm. You'll love whatever u decide--it's breathtaking in the NW, with friednly and helpful people.

Where did u decide to stay in San Telmo?