We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is the time...

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Argentina
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
This is the time...

Argentina is a country which seems to be one of the most important destinations for Americans, Canadians and, of course, Europeans. Argentina is a bg country with a lot to offer to the most demanding tourists, all the sceneries, all the climates, all the different wines! Argentina is still the favorite for steak and barbecue. Buenos Aires is still the cosmopolitan favorite Capital and the crisis will not change that. So I am comfident you will still choosing Argentina for your vacations.

But, in Argentina...what to see? I would vote for a mix, like glaciars, waterfalls and desert and salt flats.

Everybody heard about Patagonia, And Iguazu, but not many people heard so much about SALTA...

For those who speak spanish know Salta means Jump...

But the real name comes from the indian language Sakta = peaceful place for crop and rest. That is why still nowadays "siesta" is part of our life, and the crops are all over, and not only soya beans...

Salta produces almost everything, including the best wines.

The NW where Salta is, must not be left aside if you want to have awide panorama of what the whole country is. The typical music and dancing are very romantic, soft, like a shy flirt of the woman to the man, and the man showing his skill as a gaucho. Iknow, I Know, tango is well-known... but the zambas and chacareras, are those authentic dances which make you fall in love with the spirit of the folk music.

The colourful mountains contrasting with the blinding white of the salt Flats and the deep blue sky as a remarkable frame to the whole landscape...

NO words. Just put Nw of Argentina in your list of must see.

Warm regards,

Giena

BA
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: This is the time...

No doubts Giena!!! I just spend 2 days in Salta because of my work, and I fell in love with the area. I WILL be coming back!! Hopefully anytime soon.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is the time...

My wife and I drove to the area for a wedding and spent a week in 2006. It's spectacular. Not just Salta, but Jujuy and Tucuman as well.

San Carlos de...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is the time...

Giena speaks the truth. Salta is definetly cool, with lots of authentic flavor, great prices and beautiful surrondings. I especially love the Quebreda de Cafayate, it reminds me of my grateful dead days.

CT
Level Contributor
449 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is the time...

yes, we loved our time there and wish our trip could have been longer....

Rosario, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
754 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This is the time...

Congratulations Giena!

Such a nice report, just to fall in love with Salta.

Thanks!

Elisa, froma Rosario

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: This is the time...

And also the best empanadas and humitas in the world.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This is the time...

Purizio, Punta, Skatedancer, everybody... I also want to let you know, that, contrary what people think, Salta and the NW is not hotter than BA, it always cools down in the night and the mornings are cool also...

Salta is, as Punta Lugano said, part of the NW and one of the most beautiful areas to visit. Purmamarca is a town taken from a fairy tale...

The Salt Flats like the moon! Cafayate is like Lord of the Ring´s land!!!!!!

And the empanadas... Those who tasted them only once fall in love with Salta for ever. It has a special condiment unique in the world; much love and dedication!

Giena

Denver
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: This is the time...

We just returned from a week in Buenos Aires and a second in Salta and Jujuy.

Go up there! It's wonderful. We visited Salta, Purmamarca, Tilcara, Susques, the salt flats, Uquia, Maimara, Humehuaca.

All fantastic. Scenery, food, people, good roads.

Don't miss it.

Córdoba
Level Contributor
571 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: This is the time...

Hello Giena and everybody !

I definetely agree with you... Salta is very beautiful, but I just will like to add that there are other provinces, less visited by the international tourism that are also worth to see. It is true, when people come to Argentina they all go to Iguazú, Ushuaia, Glaciar Perito Moreno, and of course Buenos Aires. Some go to the north to Salta an Jujuy, but Argentina is so VERY big !! For example the province of Córdoba,(and many others of the 22 provinces !) are also amazingly beautiful with it's many rivers and mountains, forests,regional traditions, wine, food, etc ! there is so much to see in this country, but of course not everybody hears about them, because they only hear about the "must sees" for the tourists.

Córdoba is the second destination in Argentina for the argentineans when they go on vacation ! but you hardly see foreigners here (what makes it even more authentic and special to visit) we just had a group of visitors from Holland and they were so happy they decided to visit the Sierras of Córdoba ! :) they went fishing, escalated one of the most ancient mountains in South America (Gigantes) and had the time of their life's and all the time amongst the local people ! :)

Argentina is too big...a pity that most of the visitors only travel around for a couple of weeks, because to see it all you need at least a month (and that is even too short...) maybe the best is to come back a couple of times ? :)

Lis (and Jan)

Heart of Argentina

toronto,on
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: This is the time...

Ahhh, I have to agree with it all. Oh the fabulous memories I have of the Northwest. It's so beautiful there.

And the empanadas are SO good.

Someday I hope to return.