We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

Dear all,

I have been reading this forum for quite a while (planning our honeymoon in Argentina) - been of great help and inspiration! So first of all thanks everyone who took time to post their tips and tricks...

We will have a week and a 4WD car in early November to spare in between the towns on the itinerary in subject. One question to NW experts: after a couple nights in Purmamarca/Tilcara region, we will head south to Cachi - is it doable in 1 day? As we would arrive to Purmamarca through Jujuy road on day 2, we were planning to take a different road back - through SA de los Cobres and then down to Cachi. Realistic or total waste of time?

Also, as we are very into hiking (living in mountaneous Switzerland does leave its landmarks), what would be your best bet for a shorter term hike (3-5 hrs) with a serious view?

Very much appreciated and have a great week all!

Salta
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

You can do it in one day but its a rough old road - good that you have a 4x4. You will cross the Abra del Acay and then you can see the Inca Ruins at La POma but you might also want to think about going back through QUebrada del Toro from SAn Antonio and then going to CAchi the next day as the Cuesta del Obispo is spectacular.

suerte

Tracy

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

My advice would be to see Purmamarca , The salt fltats and Tilcara in two or three days, but would definitelly stop a night in Salta before starting the loop in the Calchaquies Valleys. November might be one or two storms in the mountains I would better skip San Antonio de los CObres ans avoid the ACAY road that time of the years, specially if you see ANY suspicious grey cloud in the ski. ROad 40 between San Antonio de los Cobres is not very good and might be a risk.

Remember November is not rainy season but there are some heavy rains in the mountains since October, one or two... and it is not pleasant to be in one of those in the middle of nowhere. Just as a Suggestion.,

For the rest of the trip you do not need any 4x4 .

I will be pleased to provide you of a detailed schedule if you need. Ans feel free to make any questions about the places in the NW<

Giena/Angie

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

Giena We are planning to drive from Salta-Cafayete-Cachi-Salta at the end of October. We were going to go south on rte. 68 to Cafayete, stay there one night, then drive to Cachi for the next night. The road, past San Carlos and Molinas ,looks unpaved. Would we need a 4x4? Might we run into rough weather in that area the end of October? From there to Salta, would we drive north east through P.N. Los Cardones? Is this a windy, mountainous, unpaved road? If we had car problems, would we be in big trouble with no one around on that road?

Salta
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

I think youd be alright in Cardones - Part of it is an Inca road and youre going to be passed by a trail of tourist buses

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

Here GIENA responding...You will be ok with a regular car. October is not rainny yet. YOU Will do it very well, I am sure...

I would better suggest to do the loop starting through Cachi... WHY???? becasue you have a easier driving and the sun will not be on your eyes while driving. I drove those roads for so many years that already know every single curve in the road.

You will be ok,

I also suggest to stay a night in Cachi and one or two in Cafayate. ACA and KILLA are my recommended places.

I heard from some people about a robbery at ACA, you have nothing to worry about, The people involved in that were not employees who live in Cachi and they were fired once they were discovered. SO pls, trust, the present ACA staff is out of eny suspect....

And KILLA of course as one of the highest recommended places in tehis and other forums!!!!

Enjoy your time, and pls,let us know how was your experience!!

Warm regards,

Giena / Angie

Salta, Argentina
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

Dear Bukish, I also would avoid the road from SA de los Cobres to Cachi, not many options in accommodation in SA, and the road to Cachi is rough, plus you will be almost on your own in case of mechanic problems or altitude sickness (almost 5000 mts high).

Dear Mamatross, Giena is right, from Cafayate to Cachi you have 170 kms and Only 25 are paved, sometimes the road is quiet but you always see locals willing to help, from Cachi to Salta now is mosty a paved road and quiet busy.

You don’t need a 4x4, a regular car should be ok.

The weather is ok at that time, there is no rain (normally).

Enjoy your travel!

David

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

Dear Giena and David,

Many thanks for your replies. We have arranged our trip now so that we leave Salta and stay in Cachi our first night. Some of the information I have read said that the road through Los Cardones, although beautiful, is at quite a high altitude. Will altitude sickness be a possibility? Approximately how long a drive is that? Will we also be going through Los Colorados mountains?

Salta, Argentina
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

Dear Mamatross, the highest point in that road is 3348 m a.s.l but nobody feels the altitude, just in case you can take some coca leaves or a coca tea in a thermo, the view from the road is amazing.

The drive form Salta to Cachi is about 4 hs. , before the top you’ll see a sign Welcome to Los Cardones National Park, there is little road by the sign, if you follow it takes you to a very nice walk inside the Enchanted Valley, but if you want to do that, should take a picnic because at the time you arrive to Payogasta or Cachi all restaurants will be closed ( our sacred siesta time).

Following the paved road to Cachi you don’t go through los Colorados because that is an unpaved road and takes you directly to Seclantas, no passing neither Payogasta nor Cachi.

Warm regards

David

9. Re: Itinerary Salta-Purmamarca-Cachi-Cafayate-Salta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 07:34