We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salta to Tupiza

New York, New York
Level Contributor
148 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Salta to Tupiza

We are traveling with our 2 year old and have 10 days to either start or end in Salta and work our way to/from Santa Cruz. Would like to visit Tupiza, Sucre, Samaipata and either Potosi, saltflats, or Amboro N.P. With altitude in mind, would it be best to start in Santa Cruz and work our way to Salta? Or just skip saltflats altogether? We've been to 18,000 + feet before w/out difficulty but I'm not sure how our child will do.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta
Province of Salta, Argentina
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Department, Bolivia
Argentina
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salta to Tupiza

Balut is a direct bus to the bolivian border LA QUIACA, and from there only 2,5 hour ride by bus to Tupiza:

Angie/Giena

nj
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salta to Tupiza

Hola Giena,

I've a few questions for you....

We've finalized our trip to the North. arriving 2/29-3/10. total 10 nights.

first 2 nights staying in Salta

Day trip to Cachi

bus to Cafayate, stay for 2 nights

bus back to Salta

bus to Purmamarca, stay for 1 night

bus or join tour? to Salinas Grande, Humacuaca, Tilcara, Iruya. 1 night in Iruya. I've an extra night. where else should we stay?

bus back to Salta

fly back to BA

Kindly comment on my itinerary. Is it doable? will I be able to do it all by public bus? which buses? or I need to join some tours?

Any advice from you will be greatly appreciated. thank you very much.

Regards,

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta
Purmamarca
Purmamarca
Province of Jujuy, Argentina
Tilcara
Tilcara
Argentina
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salta to Tupiza

I am sorry to inform you that There is nobus connection between Cachi and Cafayate, moymoynj, and let me help you with some advices...

If I were you I would first would try to do the trips around SALTA instead of spending the time in SALTA, I am confident you will have a short time even with ten days. Specially if you are doing everything by bus.... You know it will take longer, don´t you?

Let me see...

I would go to Cachi, stay a night and would get back to Salta to take another bus to Cafayate, YOu can also take a two-day tour as a regular tour in an agency.

and that would include Cachi and Cafayate in a rush tourm ut better than nothing! Spend then two nights in SALTA if you want.

I would also take a bus to Jujuy. There is no direct bus to Purmamarca , and from Purmamarca you will be able to share a taxi to the salt flats. Enjoy Purmamarca because it is really stunning. You can also walk in town a lot and enjoy it!!!

There are buses and remises between Purmamarca and Tilcara. Visit the ruins and the Archaeological Museum,

You will have to spend a night there, to take a bus to Humahuaca the next day. If you want to reach the bus to Iruya you should be at the bust terminal in Humahuaca at 10 a.m. and it takes about one hour the ride from Tilcara. I would better say you should take the early bus at 7a.m., just in case.

Transporte Mendoza is the bus to Iruya...

You will probably have to spend a night there and take a bus to HUmahuaca again and then to La Quiaca.... I would also suggest to check the time table at http://www.fca.com.bo/ The train leaves at 3; 30 p.m. On Mon -Wed - Thu - Sat Bolivian time is just 1 hour less than Argentina!

Angie/Giena

Mentioned in this post
Cafayate
Cafayate
Salta
Salta
Purmamarca
Purmamarca
Tilcara
Tilcara
Mendoza
Mendoza
Province of Mendoza, Argentina
Argentina
Argentina
South America
nj
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salta to Tupiza

Thank you Giena for the quick reply.

Look like there is no easy way to get around to Purmamarca & to the north.

will have to take a tour. What are the tour agency you can recommend? or do you take people there? we've maybe 3 nights for that area.

I think we can join a day trip to Cachi & back to Salta.

bus to Cafayate, stay for 2 nights & back to Salta.

What do you think? I do not like to rush.

you can PM me if you like.

Appreciate your help.

Mentioned in this post
Purmamarca
Purmamarca
Salta
Salta
New York, New York
Level Contributor
148 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salta to Tupiza

Giena,

We'll drop our rental car in Jujuy as I can't find any car rental locations closer to the border of Bolivia. Since we are traveling with a young child, we prefer to take a car rather than a bus. Do you know of car services available from Jujuy to the border?

Thanks!

6. Re: Salta to Tupiza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 10:22