We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home base for a few nights?

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Home base for a few nights?

We are a couple in our late 20s, traveling to NW argentina for 5 nights .. planning to spend an afternoon and night in Salta before setting out to either Cafayate or north.

If we just spend 1 night in Cafayate before heading up beyond Salta, where should we stay? We do love quaint and quiet, but we'd definitely like a town with a little bit of night life or at least a few restaurants/bars to choose from. Tilcara seems to be the right pick...

If we go straight from Cafayate to Tilcara, is that a big stretch?

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home base for a few nights?

I love pUrmamarca most, but either...

I love killa Hotel in Cafayate, it is well-located and the rooms are great. The service is for sure the best!

For SALTA I recomend you stay in the area of Balcarse, EL LAGAR and Legado Mistico are the ones that will let you enjoy that location. Most of the restaurants and ppubs are a on Balcarse St. But I also suggest you use El Solar del Convento on Caseros 444.

Do not miss the Northern circuit, FIve days let you see the most as possible. The scenery in the area is.... stunning!!!!!

Angie/GIena

Salta
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home base for a few nights?

Tilcara is the better place for bars and restaurants although now it is off season they wont go on too late. CAfayate to Tilcara is too far in one day. Are you driving or taking the bus? Driving I can do it - no stops and I know the way in 5 hours. Buses you will have to change in Salta and it will take 7 plus the wait for the changeover. Stopover a night in Salta.

Salta
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Home base for a few nights?

I think in salta you have all night life youll need.So you can spend the first day and night in Salta.Go first to the northern and then go to cafayate to continue your last days up to salta again.Cause if you dont have a car youll spend a long trip from cafayate to Tilcara. So i´d do so: salta, tilcara, purmamarca( 2 hrs from tilcara in regular buses) cachi, cafayate and then Salta to come back, if you need to return to salta.except salta all the town you can know along the day, tilcara is really near from purmamarca , there you can sleep.the day after you can go to cachi, going throug salta again to reach cachi( one more night, and then cafayate.Tell me if you need more help. May be my english is not that helpfull

regards!!!

Natalia( i live in cachi, we have a hostal there)

regards!

4. Re: Home base for a few nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 14:35
Salta
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home base for a few nights?

You wouldnt go from Salta to TIlcara and back to Purma using buses in one day. If you're based in Tilcara, you can take a remise (Shared taxi) from beside the bus station to go down to Purma and visit. From Purma there are also remises on the corner one block from the plaza towards the bus "Strip" to take you up to the salt flats

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home base for a few nights?

We will rent a car once we arrive- We get in from Iguazu at 12pm on Saturday, July 7....

We will leave Salta again in the afternoon on Friday, July 13.

Does this make sense?

July 7: arrive, spend afternoon/night in Salta

July 8: morning in Salta- rent car in PM, drive to Tilcara for the night

July 9: Visit purmamarca, other towns? salt flats - tilcara again for night or somewhere else farther south?

July 10 or 11: Drive towards Cafayate (in the interest of time, should we skip Cachi?)

Spend remaining nights in/near Cafayate before PM flight on 13th?

I am not sure this is the right itinerary, and I'm trying to get advice from other posts...

I don't want our entire trip to be filled with driving, but I want to see as much as possible!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Home base for a few nights?

It sounds like an excellent plan to me, Loveintheworld. This is such a wonderful part of that world - enjoy yourselves.

~MarnieWDC

salta, argentina
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Home base for a few nights?

i think your itinerary is great. in tilcara you have la garganta del diablo to know.you can do this on your own walking or driving till the garganta del diablo.park there and walk to get to the waterfalls .that in the morning.in the afternoon you can walk around the town.you can drive till purmamarca that day or the following day.it is really near from there.in purmamarca you have lots of crafts and a really beatiful landscape around.

i think that if you decided to drive up to cafayate you CAN NOT skip the journey salta cachi cafayate through the route 40.there you will see the cuesta del obispo y recta de tin tin.advice drive in the morning cause it has a long gravelled road. you can stay that night in cachi and the day after go to cafayate.its less than 160 km from cachi.

i hope you have fun here.its an amazing place to know the whole argentina

kind regards.natalia

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Home base for a few nights?

OK - advice taken! I think we'll do it! why not? You only live once....

salta, argentina
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Home base for a few nights?

great! once you are in cachi remind i live there take a look in face look fo rumihuasicachi there i have pics from all the places you will be in.

regards

pola olivera