We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salta Itinerary - Help required please!!

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Salta Itinerary - Help required please!!

We will be spending 6 nights in the Salta region in early June and would be so thankful for any advice/recommendations anyone can give to assist us.

Day 1 Arrive at Salta airport around 3pm, pick up our rental car and drive to Cafayate.

Day 2 Cafayate

Day 3 Head north - where would be a good place to spend the night so we could head to Purmamarca first thing in the morning?

Day 4 Drive to Purmamarca

Day 5 Salt Flats and spend a second night in Purmamarca

Day 6 Drive to Salta via Tilcara, return car.

Day 7 Fly out of Salta in the evening.

Thank you all so much.

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Salta Itinerary - Help required please!!

Hello,

Days are short in the North in June. I would spend the first night in Salta, because I simply would not recommend driving in the dark in Argentina if not necessary. Also the road to Cafayate is too beautiful, especially the last part (Quebrada de las Conchas), to miss.

On the 3rd day you can stay in Valle Calchaquíes, f.e. in Cachi, but you will still have quite a long drive to Purmamarca. Still I would recommend to stay in Cachi just to enjoy some more of that area as well.

The rest of the days is perfect. On day 4, when driving to Purmamarca, drive via Salta and enjoy the amazing Cuesta de Obispo and take the old ruta 9 to San Salvador de Jujuy (via San Lorenzo/El Carmen).

All the best,

Jan

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salta Itinerary - Help required please!!

Hi there! We did almost the exact same trip but in reverse. We spent 1 night Salta, 1 night Purmamarca, 1 night Tilcara then drove for 6.5 hours (it was an easy drive, actually) to Cafayate for 3 nights.

Here's a link to my "Driving in Northwest Argentina" blog post which outlines times and suggestions if you care to check it out!

http://www.willworkforvacation.com/?p=123

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salta Itinerary - Help required please!!

In my opinion 3 p.m. is ok to drive to Cafayate but I also agree Salta cachi on the next day would be better and will let you do the big loop... overnight in Cachi on the 2nd night, Cachi - Cafayate stopping on Colomé winery for lunch and see the James Turrel Museum,... overnight in Cafayate.

On the fourth day I would visit some wineries and the goat farm with free cheese tasting at Cabras de Cafayate in Cafayate!!! Drive back to Salta to overnight in Salta....

Salta - Purmamarca , do the check in and at 4:30 p.m. you can drive to the salt flats to see the sunset (most dramtic changes in the light!!!) and overnight in Purmamarca and next day visit Tilcara and drive back to Salta.... You can get some time to see the town also.

Good luck!

Angie/Giena

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salta Itinerary - Help required please!!

Thank you all so much - really appreciate your assistance.

We have decided for the first night to spend it in Salta rather than risk driving in the dark to Cafayate.

Day 2 Drive to Cafayate (2 nights).

Day 4 Drive from Cafayate to Purmamarca (2 nights)

Day 6 Drive to Salta via Tilcara

Cannot wait to see this amazing part of Argentina!

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salta Itinerary - Help required please!!

Do not miss the salt flats!!!! Enjoy also teh food at EL CHURQUI in Purmamarca and YACON in Tilcara!

Have a wonderful time!

Angie/Giena

6. Re: Salta Itinerary - Help required please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 07:17