We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car options in Salta

Which Salta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car options in Salta

Last time I was in Salta 5 years ago we rented a car from Hertz to drive a loop around the north west for a week or so. It was a pretty painless experience as far as car rental was concerned. Is Hertz still a good option or are there better deals to be had? I am a little nervous of using non mainstream rental firms having heard of some rip offs experienced by some so don't mind paying a little extra for peace of mind.

Any recent experiences would be a great help.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car options in Salta

IMO, Loaliza has much newer cars in Salta and very reliable.

Angie/Giena

washington, dc
Level Contributor
240 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car options in Salta

Hi Crellston - are you busily updating that South American blog? Just wanted to let you know that we rented from Hertz for a week this past January and had no problems at all. That car took a lot of abuse on those NW roads too!

Convenient in town location.

But Angie's in know, so maybe her rec offers a better price ... quality.

London
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car options in Salta

Yes, glover, still busy updating. However the big problem in Bolivia is finding an Internet connection that lasts long enough to upload anything!!

We will probably have a couple of days spare in Salta before heading off into the wilds so will check out Hertz and Angies suggestion before deciding.

St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car options in Salta

We went last year in November and used Argentina Car Rental www.argentina-carrental.com.ar/arg/index.php… a small company in Salta.

We booked the day before, the guy was really helpful. It was $60 per day and we hired for only two. So pretty good value.

The car was in good condition but it was slightly older than what the big car companies like Hertz would use.

At times it chugged up hills, but that may have been because the car was so full!

London
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car options in Salta

Thanks superamble. Can you recall what the insurance deal was for CDW and the excesses?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car options in Salta

We used Hertz and found that their opening hours were much better than the other agencies.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car options in Salta

We too are planning to rent a car from Hertz in Salta. I am not familiar with the types of cars in Argentina. Does anyone know if a Chevrolet Corsa classic 4 door sedan is big enough for 4 adults and 4 large suitcases?

London
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car options in Salta

Absolutely not!

That is what we are renting but it just the two of us and we are travelling light. Last time we were there we used Hertz and rented a similar sized car both in the Salta region and down south in Bariloche. In Bariloche we met up with an Italian couple and while we did squeeze the four of us and gear into the car it was very tight and not comfortable, luckily it was only for a few days.

We are in Salta next week and have booked a rental with Budget ( no need to pay or provide CC details) so at least we have something booked. When we arrive I plan to visit Hertz and the other rental agencies to get the best deal. So far Budget seems pretty competitive. With all these agencies, the insurance excesses and CDW premiums can be a total rip off in Argentina so take care reading the small print.

I will try and report back when we have booked.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car options in Salta

Thanks for your help. It is the luggage I am wondering about, whether we can actually make it from Salta to Tilacara with 4 large suitcases. The rest of the time we will be driving without our luggage, and we will be having such a good time that we won't care about being cramped. Hertz is recommended and the corsa sedan is the largest car they can rent to us. The other option is an aveo which has a smaller trunk.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car options in Salta

Can anyone explain to me more about the CDW? We'll be renting in Salta in a few weeks, and I'm really confused about what I am required to get in terms of insurance and "excesses" and what will be covered by my MasterCard if I use that to pay. I'm afraid that for me it's all a lot of insurance mumbojumbo! Any help/advice would be appreciated! Thanks.